How is your weather? (Part 1)

Parts of Lynchburg suffered severe damage. Not sure anyone knows how bad it is. I was not hit but both north and south of us took a hit.

:astonished: :cry:

Hereā€™s the current U.S. weather map. Looks like the system in the Pacific NW is going to follow on the heels of the present storm in central and eastern states.

1 Like

Came through here 4:30 AM. Lotsa wind ahead of it. Canā€™t see any ill effects from my quick survey. Air smells amazing though.
IMG_1663-1

1 Like

Central storm will probably still be here - it just wonā€™t pick up and leave!

Snowing like a son of a gun here, is it past you yet @smsmith?

Iā€™m starting to get all stressed out, as its gonna be 50s & 60s here real consistently starting Thursday this week. I have 42 trees to transplant, 5 to dig up and give away (doubles), 40 to bench graft. With the weather the way it went I think Burnt Ridge is going to ship to me late this week and iā€™ll be trying to plant my orchard and graft at night all in the same time frame. AHHH!!!

3 Likes

Yep, partly sunny and and mid 20s now. Headed to the upper 30s the next couple of days and then (maybe) 50 on Friday.

1 Like

Low 50ā€™s rain all day. Finally seasonal weather! April showers bring May flowers I hope! And my berry order from Norse!

1 Like

Rochester, MN was saying maybe 6 inches of snow midweekā€¦ an inch for us and some rain/sleet/ice/who knows what.

Iā€™ve got a hunch we torch late monthā€“easy 70F plus/.//probably 80Fs across Iowaā€¦ these avgs arenā€™t going to stay this cold.

===hot of the the 12z gfsā€¦ We could easily break the April snow record with this==although iā€™d love to see it shift south across Iowa because they like mid April snow so much down there.

1 Like

An inch of snow here,all white outside. Hopefully only one more week before everything is back to normal. My fruit trees are pretty much all still not pushing buds yet. So not much damage has been done. On the contrary, because of this unusual low spring temperature. I think my apricot wakes up late and has avoided frozen temperature during blooming time. Therefore, apricot will have better harvest this year here.

2 Likes

Nice pic, interesting juxtaposition of falling snow and blooming fruit trees. Is that an apple tree blooming?

Weā€™ve had a few flurries, some grapple, just a cold, cloudy day. Might get a bit more snow today, but too warm to stick. Ugh, Iā€™m so tired of this weather. We finally had some warm, dry weather last week. But, of course, this weekend we get another inch and a half of rain, so now the groundā€™s a soppy mess again.

It looks like my new raspberry run took all the rain well, I tried to put it on a small ridge, and then build up another hump of dirt in the middle of the run to help with drainage. It helps that the soil is very loamy, so water doesnā€™t pool there.

Iā€™m curious how often you folks get apricots. I imagine theyā€™re the first to bloom, so chances of getting them to survive any freezes are not good.

got few every year. There will be some buds left undamaged.

1 Like

GFS hints at upper 70Fs 28th to 30thā€¦ the heat is coming.

Good time to graft peaches. I grafted some plums a week or so ago when we got 3days in 60ā€™s. Hope these grafts are still alive and kicking. I grafted some Asian pear back in Feb when we got few days in 40ā€™s, I hope they are still alive. Last time I check they are all still green. I also grafted Flavor Supreme back in Feb .I know chance of the graft take is low, but the scion was in blooming, and I donā€™t have other choice but to graft it ASAP. I checked couple of days ago, all are alive. Keep my fingers crossed

1 Like

Hahaha! I had to laugh at that one.

We probably had 2 inches yesterday, but it only stuck in the early morning.

It is nice to see the snow coming down but melting away as fast as it comes because the sun, even through the clouds, is as strong as it is in late August.

Makes me want to cry!!!

I donā€™t think i should have all the funā€¦ Areas just north of here had a foot plus (i think Green Bay has over 20 inches)ā€¦so we actually got lucky here (around 7 or 8 inches).

Rain makes grain? Planting is going to be going full steam come late month/early Aprilā€¦theyā€™ll mud it in.

1 Like

I get some most years

The aprium, tho, blooms about a week earlier and itā€™ll get zapped when the cots escape

Last year, I thought the aprium had been toasted during a late freeze, but it turned out later that a few dozen buds were still closed then, so I got some fruit after all. The cots, otoh, were abundant.

2 Likes

Hey, hey, I think you are mad at us.
Maybe you need to sacrifice to the snow god!