How long from fruit set to ripe for watermelon on average?

Have a few watermelons setting at different times. How long from fruit set to ripening on average. I was thinking around 60 days more or less. Does that sound about right?

2 Likes

Yes that would be my guess as well for the types I grow. I could be way off. It seems a lot shorter this yr.

Thanks. Yeah, I figure I might deduct or add a little time for the variety and/or the weather. Heat Index over 100 here today.

1 Like

Good to know! I just spotted my first watermelon female flower. I think the tiny melon on the bottom is big enough to assume it has been pollinated. Not sure. Hopefully it won’t fall off and I’ll have ripe fruit in 2 months! Man… such a long wait.

1 Like

To clairify then the days set on the package is from seeding to fruit ripeness but from fruit set it is about 60 days? I have an Orangeglo that set fruit June 7 and now it is very large and I can’t tell if I should pick it.

1 Like

That’s probably ripe. But don’t take my word for it. Lately I’ve had poor luck telling when they are ripe. The tentril has let me down.

Last yr of about 12 OG 11 were over ripe and one not ripe.

i pick 6 weeks and the melons r perfect

feed water soluble general organics flower food from the beginning of week 2 through the end of week four

and give a healthy supply of espoma plant tone beginning of week one and have had perfect melons grown this way

icebox types should be picked at the end of week 5 and taken off nutes at end of week 3

i have had perfect melons this way and can reccomend orangeglo as my favorite and am still trying new melons

2 Likes

Yeah, if living in a warm climate, like here in GA, 60 days was a bit much this year. I’m keeping an eye on my last 3 melons, and 6 weeks should do it here in the heat.

2 Likes

I think I am trying to absolve myself from responsibility of picking this watermelon underripe :blush: but here is a picture of it, and one of the bottom. I thunked it and I have no idea as I have no other one to thunk in comparison.

1 Like

I picked it it was 10 pounds but it was well over ripe, I would think that the 60 days is a good benchmark for me, ( our nights get cool in the summer ) this melon was at around 73. I looked back in my records and the fruit was 1 1/2 inches long at June 7 so I estimate fruit set at around June 1. But time will tell, I have a few more on another vine so we will see what comes.

1 Like

Then I better go pick mine now! They are about 70 days past fruit set, and a couple of them are developing that soft orange color underneath.

2 Likes

Are you saying six weeks after the fruit forms?

1 Like

6 full weeks from day of pollination

1 Like

Just to revive this thread. True to form, setting fruit a bit late, and am happy at that with the humidity and heat we’re having. Setting the clock for 45 days in our climate here in south Georgia. Was even thinking of tagging them as they pollinate, so I don’t forget.

i’d like to add 6 full weeks for big watermelons
i picked a kaho which is a smaller sized melon this year and was considerably younger

I don’t count days. The melon itself will tell you, if it’s ripe. The
melon in the picture clearly shows that it’s over ripe.

1 Like

I am glad you and @SpokanePeach told us about counting days.

My watermelons would not talk to me :grin:

Counting days definitely is helpful. I have stuck quite a few popsicles sticks in my watermelon patch. Thank you, guys.

Great idea on the popsicle sticks. I have two marked now. Am also going to get them off the ground a little. Flooding rains, and bugs, etc. are not my friend. Had some rot last year.

@SpokanePeach gave me an idea about using popsicle sticks. Credit goes to him.

I thought I was clever when I bought multi colored sticks hoping to assign each color for each variety. That does not work out too well. All my 4 plants in a patch are growing into one another. I could not tell which melons belong to which variety!!!

Now I just put a stick with a date I pollinated it on. (Paid more for multi colored sticks, too!!!)

Just to keep this zombie thread going…my watermelons are ripe a bit early this year. I had the projected “pick dates” written on markers near the melons. I was using the 45 days from fruit set theory. It has been hot this spring, so I tested one a week early, and it was perfect. My son said it was the best ever. Only tested 11 on the brix meter, but tasted sweeter than that.

2 Likes