Humbug Pear

I saw mention of this pear elsewhere. It’s named Humbug and comes from the Ukraine. It certainly looks beautiful, but does anyone know anything about it? It looks like the pear version of a tiger panache fig!

3 Likes

Wow, it does look like a fig

1 Like

Very interesting, never heard of it, would be fun to grow as an ornamental even if not very good tasting. Available anywhere in the U.S.?

1 Like

It’s called Писанка (Pysanka) in Ukraine (the word Pysanka means an Easter Egg). It’s actually an Asian pear and is grown mainly for its aesthetic appeal rather than taste. From mid-summer, fruits acquire attractive color — yellow background with dark green stripes. In autumn, when the contrast in the color stripes is stronger, fruits look very ornamental. Fruit is medium-sized, weighing 130—150 g. Flesh is white, very firm. In summer and autumn fruits are inedible. In December, the flesh becomes sweetish, and in January and February, fruits become edible, although the taste is still mediocre. In some years, fruits achieve a good taste around March—April. Fruits can be stored in a rootcellar until the next harvest.

1 Like

[quote=“Derby42, post:2, topic:3952, full:true”]
Wow, it does look like a fig
[/quote]quite intriguing right?

it may sound crazy–considering that figs are not in the Rosaceae family(pear/plum/peach/apple axis), but Rosaceae and Moraceae(figs and mulberry family) are both sub-clans of the order Rosales, reportedly diverged into separate families millions of years ago.

this panache fig-pear sure makes an excellent visual about the ancient link and lineage.

3 Likes

This pear is actually called “Schweizerhose” or also "Schweizer Hose"and it’s euro pear. As the name suggests it comes from Switzerland, beginning of 19th century. All the UK webs named it Humbug/Pisanka from Ukraine, don’t ask me why. Maybe to give it more mysterious feel (new recently discovered variety from Ukraine). I don’t grow it but was interested in this pear few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrywsWqTqWA
etc.

1 Like

Perhaps the interesting pattern is like Swiss hose of some period?

2 Likes

Stripes are already visible at this stage

5 Likes

How does it taste?

1 Like

I wish I could tell you but this will be my first crop. Once you move to France I can send you scionwood or you can buy also a tree, it’s available throughout Europe.

2 Likes

Picked late September, but it is still rock hard.

5 Likes

Anyone state side? :upside_down_face: I feel like a parrot with this comment on the forums constantly lol!

1 Like

We are all watching for this pear to arrive in the USA.

2 Likes

:crazy_face: I’ll be waiting and watching eagerly!

1 Like

Where is the pear?

1 Like

@mrsg47

Originally we are told it is from the ukraine

1 Like