Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

I grafted Rosseyanka onto seedling American persimmon stock this past spring. The buds swelled and then went stagnant for about a month. Finally started pushing out a couple shoots quite vigorously, now it’s about 4’ and multi branched. I am quite pleased, but now looking ahead my concern is that this cultivar is reportedly quite late to ripen fruit. I would like to know if anyone’s Rosseyanka has fruited, and if so when the fruit is ready to harvest. My location has about 120 frost free days by the calender, although this may be changing… Thanks!

1 Like

Jesse,

Last year my Rossyanka ripened in early November. They sat on the counter for a few weeks to soften up.

Tony

Thank you, Tony.
One thing I’ve noticed from your posts is that even though we are in the same climate zone, your season seems to start about a month ahead of mine. Not fair! Here, the last average frost date would be mid-May, with folks generally considering Memorial Day as the time to plant out tender veggies like tomato. Persimmons started to bud out around that time as well.
Does frost curtail the ripening of persimmon, or can they continue to ripen after being exposed to below freezing temps? I know that I enjoyed a few Meader’s after they were bletted by going through a few freeze/thaw cycles-they were okay but not great, some were still pretty astringent.
I would greatly appreciate anyone growing persimmons(paw paws too) sharing the ripening order of their varieties, as this might be an important limiting factor I should consider, as well as winter hardiness. Much oblidged!

1 Like

people used to think they had to have frost to ripen. Now they know that it is just a matter of getting enough heat units, because they did the experiment. As our heat units continue to rise every year, there are some varieties of persimmon like Rosseyanka that we might be able to ripen here in the PNW. Even when we have hot days, we have cool nights. Better for sleeping but fewer heat units compared to back East. Traditionally we could only grow the early ones.
John S
PDX OR

I enjoyed my first Dollywood persimmon yesterday.

9 Likes

Looks great! And so early too. Is that the earliest persimmon you grow?

yes so far this is my earliest variety.

1 Like

I would think that Dollywoods would be HUGE based on the original. :slight_smile:

Early persimmons are a great idea for insurance on a cool year and also to spread out the harvest.

Can’t wait to taste them.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

I had a chance to enjoy a JT-02 (Mikkusu kaki hybrid) persimmon today. I didn’t grow it. Cliff England was kind enough to send me a few with my fall order. But boy was it excellent! Rich and syrupy. The pictures below show JT-02 next to a normal size Hachiya persimmon. You can see that JT-02 is a mottled blue/black in the picture. Cliff says that’s not normal, that they’re normally completely orange but that he had a strange year for fruit (like many of us did). He also said the coloring doesn’t affect flavor

Pretty good size. The skin on JT-02 is a lot tougher and more leather-like than Hachiya.

As for flavor, these were excellent. Rich and dense with a butterscotch/honey/apricot/persimmon flavor. By comparison, they made Hachiya taste like honey-water while JT-02 was more of a syrup. The best part was I found a few seeds to grow out. Exciting night for me!

16 Likes

It sounded delicious. So, it is not cold hardy for us?

Wish you success growing out those seeds.

It is cold hardy. Cliff tested it to -16, I believe. I think @tonyOmahaz5 is growing it.

2 Likes

Hybrid Persimmons sound interesting!

The site here has a few 3rd generation Hybrids:

I would like to know more about these … the descriptions are very minimalistic on this website.

Does anyone have experience with them? (Besides Nikitas Gift and Rosseyanka)

1 Like

Cliff is a wealth of information and a good man. I was on the phone with him today!

3 Likes

Most of them are newer Ukrainian selections and it’s possible some are the seller’s creation since he is also active breeder - not just persimmons but also paw paws from what I heard. That place is only about 10min driving from my place.

1 Like

Wow nice to know that you are near him :slight_smile:

Just took me 2h to drive to him.

Maybe ill get 2 of his Hybrids … but i cant plant more now atm ^^

I tried to get some of the early pawpaws (Halvin, Summer Delight, Kentucky Champion) from him … but he did not have them in stock.

Instead, i got the American Persimmons H118 and H120.

I hope i can get some of the pawpaw varieties that i mentioned in the future.

They are pretty rare in europe.

1 Like

His stock goes out pretty fast. It’s good to call around May and reserve them. I think he gets more plants after July but those sell out quick as well.
You can also check here but ask about availability before you go all the way up there :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you for the link!

Wow, what nice collection of Persimmons and Jujubes!

Would like to get one of these Asian Persiommons:

Hyakume, Zenjimaru, Nishimura wase / Izu

And also the Hybrid NB-21, this one seems to be good!

This place is really close to my sisters home, just 30 min away.

I can combine that with a visit.

Nice!

:smiley:

4 Likes

Ill see if i can buy the new “Superosijanka” Mutation from Pavel this year!

Would like to know how it compares to the regular Rosijanka!

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbambusarium.cz%2Fprodukty%2Frosijanka%2F

1 Like

Potting up some cold stratified JT-02 seeds. Come on fall of 2022!

7 Likes

Steven,

I hope they all sprout. I bury five Nikita’s Gift seeds last week. Will see if they sprout for me.

Tony

3 Likes