Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

My in ground Chinebuli is just waking up, but looks great.

1 Like

I grafted chinubli and a few other varieties to beneath the old grafts. I’ll keep trying until I find something that works.
Tony, I probably should’ve protected them their first winter and let them get established.

Yeah,. I did the same thing for insurance. I harvested few scions of each variety in February and Bark grafted on a few American persimmon seedlings to back up in late April. I hate to waste $150 to the climate like when I was just a rookie many moon ago.

Tony

2 Likes

There are also newer perspective 3rd generation persimmons from Ukraine like Gora Goverla (I have a small tree of it), Gora Roman Kos, Gora Rogers and probably few more, they are all being trialed in my area. Fruit should be about double the size of Nikita’s Gift. Cold hardiness should be similar to Nikita.

6 Likes

Are they all still astringent?

Hey @Paul, these 3rd gen Ukraine hybrids you mentioned… Are they supposed to taste more like Americans?
I got Sestronka (aka NB-21) from Cliff England, as he said its one of the few hybrids that actually tastes like an American (aka more wilder flavor vs mild Asian flavor).

1 Like

I was just out grafting my persimmons today and took note of the condition of the varieties. My Chinubli graft came through OK, though there was tip dieback. Vaniglia didn’t make it through my -10, even though it survived -11 for Cliff. Huk Gam and Miss Kim also made it.

I grafted Nikita’s Gift and Kasandra today (thanks SMC!). Hope you saved a bit of Kasandra to re-graft. Cliff says that it has survived -16F without damage, so as you said, it must be the swings.

I’m surprised that Tam Kam made it for you with a -12F low. Did you protect it? Mine survived the first few winters -3F and -4F, but the last two (-9F and -10F) have killed it back to the wood-chips I insulate it’s base in. I think this is the last year I let it re-grow. If it dies back again, I’ll graft something hardier at the base and maybe keep just a branch of Tam Kam.

I was surprised the Tam Kam made it too. It did have some die back. I didn’t protect it.

I grafted Rosseyanka onto d.v. roots this spring, looks like a take :relaxed:, should I plan on giving this one winter protection for the first couple years? I am z5 in a high exposure (wind) area.

1 Like

Yes, I would Winter protect it for the year first.

Tony

@ampersand @armyofda12mnkeys
Yes they are still astringent.
Gora Goverla should ripen at the end of October (zone 7a), Gora Rogers and Roman Kos beginning of November. All should be hardy to -13 (some sources say -10F).
Here are few pics of Gora Goverla (weight is in grams so a bit over half pound)

13 Likes

Very nice Hybrid persimmons there Paul. My Rossyanka can handle the cold to -18F, Nikita’s Gift -12F, Casandra and JT-02 will be tested in a few years. I will Winter protect them for now until they are established.

Tony

I grafted Rosseyanka onto seedling American persimmon stock this past spring. The buds swelled and then went stagnant for about a month. Finally started pushing out a couple shoots quite vigorously, now it’s about 4’ and multi branched. I am quite pleased, but now looking ahead my concern is that this cultivar is reportedly quite late to ripen fruit. I would like to know if anyone’s Rosseyanka has fruited, and if so when the fruit is ready to harvest. My location has about 120 frost free days by the calender, although this may be changing… Thanks!

1 Like

Jesse,

Last year my Rossyanka ripened in early November. They sat on the counter for a few weeks to soften up.

Tony

Thank you, Tony.
One thing I’ve noticed from your posts is that even though we are in the same climate zone, your season seems to start about a month ahead of mine. Not fair! Here, the last average frost date would be mid-May, with folks generally considering Memorial Day as the time to plant out tender veggies like tomato. Persimmons started to bud out around that time as well.
Does frost curtail the ripening of persimmon, or can they continue to ripen after being exposed to below freezing temps? I know that I enjoyed a few Meader’s after they were bletted by going through a few freeze/thaw cycles-they were okay but not great, some were still pretty astringent.
I would greatly appreciate anyone growing persimmons(paw paws too) sharing the ripening order of their varieties, as this might be an important limiting factor I should consider, as well as winter hardiness. Much oblidged!

1 Like

people used to think they had to have frost to ripen. Now they know that it is just a matter of getting enough heat units, because they did the experiment. As our heat units continue to rise every year, there are some varieties of persimmon like Rosseyanka that we might be able to ripen here in the PNW. Even when we have hot days, we have cool nights. Better for sleeping but fewer heat units compared to back East. Traditionally we could only grow the early ones.
John S
PDX OR

I enjoyed my first Dollywood persimmon yesterday.

9 Likes

Looks great! And so early too. Is that the earliest persimmon you grow?

yes so far this is my earliest variety.

1 Like

I would think that Dollywoods would be HUGE based on the original. :slight_smile:

Early persimmons are a great idea for insurance on a cool year and also to spread out the harvest.

Can’t wait to taste them.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes