Hybridizing stone fruits

They are now called, " Gardenberries."

4 Likes

My new peach variety.

6 Likes

My peacharines, an Elberta Peach x LeGrand Nectarine cross, are still green, while their Half-Siblings, F1 Elberta Peach, already reached maturity.

4 Likes

No signs of ripening yet. I wonder what would my peachmonds would look like when they reach maturity.

2 Likes

They look a lot like halls hardy almonds at this stage

1 Like

When do they ripen?

Ulises, thanks for continuing to report on your results. Of the varieties that you have developed to date, are there any that you think are winners in eating quality or other characteristics of merit?

1 Like

I still don’t have a winner, yet.

I still have two more proprietary trees that I will be tasting this season: My proprietary F1 Nonpareil Almond and my Peacharine. I hope that my peacharine is a taste winner.

My peacharine is a cross between an Elberta Peach, Seed parent, x LeGrand Nectarine, pollen parent.

1 Like

Both parents, obviously, are of unusual quality. Are there particular selection criteria you are using to identify the seed and pollen parents?

If I have a taste-winner, I will share scionwood to the members of this group.

The crosses that I made this year were:

Peacharine, seed parent, x F1Moorpar Apricot.

Peachmond, seed parent, x F1 Moorpark Apricot.

Flavor Top Nectarine, seed parent, x Sweet Bagel Peach.

F1 Almond, seed parent, x peachmond.

Honey Babe Peach, seed parent, x Peachmond.

Mariposa Plum, seed parent, x F1 Moorpark Apricot.

2 Likes

I think August here, not positive, mine frosted this year.

1 Like

Myrobalan Plum Interstem onto Luna Peach x Almond rootstock.

1 Like

Luna Peach x Almond rootstock.

1 Like

I picked a Flavor Top Nectarine today.

During the flowering season, I hand-pollinated every Flavor Top Nectarine flower with Sweet Bagel Flat peach. After pollination, I covered the flowers with newspaper to prevent pollen contamination. After the flowers developed fruit, I removed the newspaper. A couple of months later, only six fruits survived, and are now starting to reaching maturity.

My next step is to stratify the seeds; and my long-term goal is to develop red-flesh flat peacharines.

1 Like

2 Likes

Which is that? The red-flesh nect?

Yellow-flesh.

I have a question for you. Peaches (which nectarine is a subspecies of) with few exceptions are self-pollinating.
How do you prevent the anthers of your Flavor Top nectarine from (self) pollinating the flower’s stigma? I think bagging flowers can work with self incompatible fruit like jap. plums but is not that effective in case of peaches since they can pollinate themselves before you apply your sweet bagel pollen or even after while bagged (in case you fail with sweet bagel pollen but of course you don’t know that).
I am no breeder but I would probably want to remove the anthers of the “female” plant at earlier bloom stage so they don’t get pollenized by the same plant, in your case Flavor Top nectarine.

1 Like