Hybridizing stone fruits

OK, I’m going to have to try it. I have had too many failures in ground.
How long before germination? I suppose it could vary a lot.

1 Like

2-3 months, depending on the variety.
With this method, I have a 90% germination rate.

Alcedo, do you have any updates of your hybrids?
I would like to see more pictures, please. Thanks.

I have lack of Pollinator varieties My wish is to continue experimenting with hybridizing stone fruits.
I would like to have good seeds. Since time is running out I am 62 yo I am just worried if this is even feasible ?
If someone could help me with this I am very grateful and a happy man.
Thanks

1 Like

I wonder about the same things from time to time but have decided to go for it. People needs things to do that they are passionate about moving into their senior years. Best wishes and just do it without looking back.

1 Like

@Drew51, my method is almost identical to @itheweatherman. Instead of soil, I’ve used a paper towel. I wet the paper towel and squeeze out the water so it is just slightly damp. My germination was about 80-90% as well. This method also lets me see more easily which are germinating. I check them once every few days and plant a seed once I see the tap root coming out.

1 Like

1 Like

Peacharine:

1 Like

3 Likes

My peachmond harvest!

4 Likes

What are your intentions with these if they are ultimately not edible.

I’m going to cross them back to almonds; and I’m going to be using them as rootstocks.

1 Like

Today I discovered a beautiful fruit on a seedling tree September Yummy Plum.
still some weeks to go I suspect.

3 Likes

This is the seed from my second peach x almond hybrid. The tree foliage resembles more like an almond tree; however, the fruit has more flesh than its sister sibling.

@itheweatherman What do you think the chances of a peach/hardy plum (Superior) cross are? It would be interesting if one could have the winter hardiness crossed into a interspecific.

1 Like

I would say a 50/50 chance.

Peacharines, anyone?

5 Likes

Honey-Mint Grilled Peacharines.

6 Likes

What’s your opinion of the Peacharine’s flavor?Will any scion wood be available? Brady

At this stage of ripeness, they are less sweeter than Elberta Peach; the flavor is between Elberta Peach and a White Nectarine. Unlike it’s seed parent, when grilled, they stay firm rather than turning into mush.

I still don’t know if I’m going to release scionwood for next year.