Hybridizing stone fruits

Speaking of hybrids, the Zaigers have patented their second peach x plum hybrid called "Emerald Blush,"it’s parentage is [((plum x (plum x peach))] x [((plum x (peach x plum)], or 75% plum, 25% peach.

At the market this weekend, I saw a clamshell of "Cherum,"s which I took to be a cherry-plum hybrid. The fruit appeared more plum than cherry, but I didn’t pick any up.

Have others tried them and, if so, what were your impressions?

The ones that I tried were verry cherry plums, a cherry x ( plum x cherry) hybrid. They were crunchy and juicy with cherry flavors. Those are Zaigers creations. Patented as Sweet Pixie.

Cherums is a traded mark of Kingsburg Orchards. The breeder is Bradford Lowell, I believe.

Which Market?

I tried them too and really enjoyed them. Very sweet. 24-25 Brix from store bought fruit. Great popable size too.

1 Like

Thanks for the information.

It was not a chain store, just an independent produce shop (in Northern California). It often sources from Kingsburg Orchards.

3 Likes

Peachmonds:

3 Likes

I’m going to have a lot of peach x almond hybrid seedling rootstocks this year, well, a couple of those seedlings will be (peach x almond) x apricot hybrids.

Uploading…

Sun Rose Peacharines, anyone?

6 Likes

How was the taste test?

Tony

Those look good.

I ate the rest of my–what i thought were store bought plum seedlings–mystery plums a few days ago. The more i ate the more i’m starting to believe they were a Superior plum seedling that got crossed with Alderman plum because i swear they look like Superior but taste like Alderman…they turned very dark though, which neither Superior or Alderman do… so who knows. They were decent enough so i think i’ll let them live another year and see what i think next year.

1 Like

I give a 7 out of 10.

Not a stone fruit, just progress on my raspberry plant that is a cross between Anne, and Polka. Not sure what color the berries will be? This is a seedling. I never saw one grow this fast! When dormant it will be put into the ground. Anne really has no thorns, and this one does from the pollen parent Polka. They are small and not rigid, so easy to grab. They won’t penetrate your skin.
Most raspberry plants need 2 years before you put them into the ground. This one is plenty big enough for planting right now even. Maybe I will just put it in now, so it has time to establish.

3 Likes

If I create a plum x cherry hybrid, what would be the best plum and cherry varieties that I should use?

How about Satsuma plum and Lapin’s cherry😀

No specific reasoning. I just think they are both excellent in their own right.

I have a Lapin Cherry but I don’t have a Satsuma plum anymore.

itheweatherman: attempting to locate the holy grail — the fruit that looks like a plum but tastes like a cherry.

It’s dissapointing that the hybrids out there (the Nadia for example) look like cherries but taste like plums — i.e. who wants a small plum?

Is your strategy to back cross your CherryxPlum with a Cherry – to up the “cherry-ness”? Maybe you can start with Nadia for this purpose?