Hybridizing stone fruits

Interesting way of putting it. You are right though, a huge crunchy plum sized fruit that taste like Lapin’s or Bing cherry would be my dream fruit. Lol. Actually, I’d love a Lapin’s cherry that was the size of Olpeas lady Nancy peach!

Come to think of it, a sweet cherry/peach hybrid would be incredible!

2 Likes

That would be awesome…have it ripen about July 20th here in Wisconsin. Sign me up.

Will a peach even pollinate a sweet cherry or the other way around?

1 Like

It may be unlikely that a peach or large plum will ever taste like a really high quality Bing. I had some high acid 30 brix Bings this yr that were amazing. The genotype may be half cherry and half plum or peach but the phenotype turns out to be either one or the other.

Me I’m putting my effort into growing more of those Bings.

4 Likes

Cherries are amazing, or can be. Even the tart ones are so rich in flavor like nothing else.
Prepping Carmine Jewel for preserves, the smell was better than any fruit I ever processed, well except maybe yellow raspberries. I will probably only use them for juice in the future. A lot of work removing pits. For juice I don’t need to. Depends, if the preserves are out of this world, I’ll do it again. I still have yet to make the preserves, I made puree to use and froze till using the stove makes sense. It’s so hot here now!

Drew-

I’m glad you brought up CJ. I’ve noticed after an early spring/early summer growth pattern (it grew a lot) it just shut off about July and hasn’t put on any growth since…just seems to have sat there…still very healthy looking. I’ve noticed the Lapins has started throwing out new shoots the last 2 weeks…

Speaking of hybrids, a DWN forum member posted a picture of his/her proprietary peach x plum hybrid.

I’m going to try to create a peach x cherry next year, I will use my Sun Rose peacharine as the pollen parent, and a Rainier Cherry as a seed parent.

1 Like

Highly doubt it. Probably would’ve been done already. Although stone fruits offer some compatibility with each other cherry has always kind of snubbed their nose at the other stone fruits. I guess they get along with plums to some degree but that’s about it. A cherry/apricot hybris would be interesting as well.

I was close from obtaining a Rainier Cherry x Shakar Pareh Plumcot hybrid this year, but unfurtunately, the winds knocked out the potted tree, thereby, knocking out the plumcot-pollinated cherries.

Never thought of that… wow…a cherry and a white apricot…red cherry skin and white apricot flesh!

Breaking News!

My peach x almond hybrid seeds are starting to germinate. I hope that these seeds are from the flowers that I pollinated with apricot pollen.

3 Likes

Here it is:

2 Likes

Luna Peachmond Fall color.

Red-Leaf peach x almond hybrid.

2 Likes

My new Peacharine seedling, a cross between Sweet Bagel Donut Peach, pollen parent, x Flavor Top Nectarine, seed parent.

4 Likes

For those who are almond experts, I need you to help me identify this Almond seedling, please.

This tree originated from my F1 Nonpareil Almond. The pollen parent is unknown. My question is, does it looks like a full almond? Based on the foliage, I suspect is has peach parentage. What do you think?

My hybrid seeds are now sprouting. Very cool! I’m going to put them in soil today. One is very oddly shaped, so excited about that one the most.
This year also I have a raspberry cross that looks fantastic. it grows super well, now to see if it has decent fruit? It should have some this next summer.

1 Like

A stone fruit hybrid seedling?

Take pictures, please. I want to see them.

Well not yet, i have a few sprouting, but it’s way early to be called a seedling.The odd shaped one so far has not germinated. It may need more chill still. It looks in great shape. I’ll take photos of the seed tomorrow. It’s possible a bad mutation caused the round shape, and it may not be viable? Doesn’t matter, many are sprouting and my main goal is a cross with Arctic G, and even if not, it has to be a hybrid as the mother tree is not self fertile. So any that germinate is cool with me! So far four have out of 8. The rest of my seeds are not prepped yet, or in the ground. I planted a number of them last fall.

This is my lazy attempt to get a decent hybrid. I planted the seed from several different varieties plumcots about 4 weeks ago. I’m assuming that the seedlings will still be considered an interspecific. They are in outdoor pots so they can stratify over the winter months.

1 Like