Hybridizing stone fruits

I’ve done that for the past few years too, @Auburn. You never know what mix of genetics you’ll end up with. Hopefully a few of my oldest – 4 years – will fruit this upcoming season.

1 Like

Me too, Keep us updated on any decent results.

3 Likes

Happy New Year, Everyone!

I’ll be developing new exciting hybrid fruits this year!

3 Likes

Some of my Indian Free crosses came up today! Yeah! The flatter seed I mentioned never germinated. I moved it to soil. I never took a photo of it, it may not be viable? Color is off because of the strange spectrum of light my plant light throws off. Not much to look at, but exciting for me!

This one just emerged within the hour. I used used soil, hey I’m cheap! Those are dead pepper or tomato roots. Supply a little food eventually. Soil mix is my own mix. Pine bark, Pro-mix, DE, and compost.

This one came up yesterday.

These could be crossed with anything, which is fine. They have to be crosses though as again Indian free is not self fertile. So this for sure is a new hybrid, I’ll get back to you in 5 years to let you know how it turned out! :eyes:

4 Likes

Their foliage should be able to identify the pollen parentage, so keep posting more pictures in the coming weeks.

Most likely cross is a nectarine, but it could be anything? Most seeds I took Fruitnut’s advice and planted out. Many seeds I destroyed trying to get them out! I left the pit on the ones I planted outside. I also heard it could take two years, I can wait. I have two, and I have room to plant these in the yard and grow to full trees with no root restrictions.

The color on those fruits is fantastic. The pit looks big, but if grown in a pot, it may just be smaller flesh from restricted roots. I may have 4 seedlings in a few days…Two others should sprout.

Update:
My peacharine seedling died.

Deformed F2 Peach x almond hybrid seedling.

My seedlings are bigger now, and they look like peaches or nectarines, which is fine, what I want most anyway. What I would like to plant out. Inter-specific crosses would be nice, but may not be possible for whatever reason with what I’m using.
Not that I’m going to stop trying, I’m getting better at controlling all the conditions as time goes on.
Chances are I had interspecific crosses, I just don’t know what seeds they were? I had 71 peaches to work with. Next year I will mark them better.

1 Like

They are probably peacharines?

Yes, well if I cross them back to Arctic Glo I can get a nectarine. I may if I can keep it alive 4-6 years.
I probably will graft unto an existing tree also. Hopefully evaluate fruit sooner that way. I need practice grafting too! I may not keep them. It depends on what comes up outside. I planted about 30 seeds. Anything looking different will be kept. I’m only going to keep maybe 5 at most. I want to keep all examples of each phenotype displayed, if more than one, and keep the fittest looking of them. The ones that fight to live.

2 Likes

My new goal for this year is to create a Peacherry, a peach x cherry hybrid. Do you think this type of hybrid would be possible?

2 Likes

It would be awesome if you get red-flesh nectarines.

1 Like

I do have Arctic Glo, and it’s redder than Indian Free. So both parents are white peach/nectarine with red flesh. This should be a third type really, comes from whites though. It ripens in early August, so hoping a cross will yield an earlier peach than Indian Free. Also Arctic Glo is a fairly big fruit, not as big as the nectaplum, that one is massive! Anyway hoping for a bigger peach as Indian Free is rather a small peach. If I can get a bigger Indian Free-like cultivar to ripen earlier, I can increase brix, as temps fall in the fall. Ripening a bit earlier should produce a sweeter peach.

I’m fairly positive all three seedlings I have are from Arctic Glo. The nectplum is red, no signs of that. My lucky 13 had freeze damage and produced no peaches. The pollen was probably no good. It’s the farthest tree too. They don’t look like plums, so it’s got to be Arctic Glo. Which is the closest tree too.
It’s also possible the fruit is bad, I need to keep as many as possible, and taste the fruit, decide from there. I can’t keep them all though. This is fun, I’ll do it again next year, and maybe take them to my cottage plant them there.

1 Like

Did you have any success with the nectacherry? I’ll be trying some donut peach x cherry crosses this year.

Thanks!

No. I will try again this year.

I have a tray of Flavor King seedlings that all seem to match well. I have some other seedlings that the label fell off so i’m not positive…i thought they came off my prunus americana, but they could have come from another plum…this one has almost peach leaves on it…

3 Likes

My peachmond will start flowering in about two weeks.

I also have a Marcona Almond that will bloom in about two weeks, thus, I’m going hybridize it with my peachmond. I will create a mini greenhouse and place them together so the peachmond could pollinate it.

1 Like

2 Likes

My goal is to develop a dwarf almond variety that will not only grow no more than five feet tall, but also profitable and self-pollinating. Thus, I’m planning to make several crosses with different almond varieties and peaches until my desired cross is achieved. So far, I have managed to develop a proto-type that has survived in a three gallon pot and has only grown to two and a half feet. It will start flowering for its first time in about two to three weeks. And that’s when my hybridization project will continue.

This almond tree originated from my proprietary F1 Nonpareil Almond.

1 Like