Hybridizing stone fruits

Ok all this hybrid talk has me interested . So I have a row of wild Chickasaw seedling plums starting to bloom . I bagged a branch of blossoms today that are not open yet . I have a Stanley starting to bloom . Think I will have a go at it to see what happens . I know it may not work but gonna try .

1 Like

Once you use a small paint brush to pollinated that bagged branch then be sure to rebag it so no stray pollens can enter it until the petals fall.
Tony

2 Likes

F2 Peach x Almond hybrid seedling.

I wonder what would a [( plum x cherry)] x [((apricot x ( peach x nectarine))] hybrid would look like? Would that even be possible? What would the seed, fruit, and foliage would look like?

I have a hard enough time and lack patience for getting commercial trees to bare fruit, I don’t have any patience for creating my own hybrids.

2 Likes

Since this is my strong topic of interest, I have a lot of patience.

2 Likes

Nectarcot embryos developing inside flavor top nectarines.

2 Likes

I found this picture of nectarcots on pinterest, and by judging at the picture, the leaves resemble like that of a nectarine. So this means that it will be hard tell apart the hybrid seedlings from the standard nectarine seedlings. Well, I tagged the flowers that I pollinated with apricot pollen, but still, if the hybrids look exactly like a nectarine tree, I will have to wait three to four years until I find out which are hybrids and which aren’t by judging at the fruit.

4 Likes

The Nectamond in the making: A nectarine x almond embryo is developing inside this almond.

3 Likes

My proprietary Gardenberries, they are a cross between a Krauter Vesuvious Myrobalan plum, seed parent, x Unknown pollen.

One scored a 24 brix and the other one a 27 brix.

I have a question for you, do these fruits look pure Myrobalan plums or more like a hybrid? The plum trees that are growing close to the myrobalan plum tree are Santa Rosa, a green skin plum, and Satsuma plum. And even closer, an F1 Moorpark Apricot. In comparasion to the seed parent, my gardenberry tree produces red leaves in Spring and Dark-Green leaves in Summer compared to red leaves throughout Spring and Summer.

8 Likes

The tree needs a pollinator, so most likely I will get interspecific hybrids from these trees. I used Marcona Almond and my proprietary peachmond as pollinators for my gardenberry.

2 Likes

My proprietary Peach, a cross between Elberta Peach, seed parent, x Unknown pollen.

7 Likes

pretty color and shape!

2 Likes

Brix was 15. It was part sweet and part bitter.

1 Like

Yes, but still very beautiful. What is the purpose of the cross. What do you want to see in this fruit?

1 Like

I have three seedlings of an Arctic Glo x Indian Free. Arctic Free! My goal was to have a peach or nectarine that ripens between these two. To me Arctic Glo is an amazing fruit. I wish i had time and space to try other peaches and nectarines. I have grafted some, but takes are rare, and such. Happy though I discovered Arctic Glo.
I’m huge on berries, and the red flesh and cranberry like flavor gives me that berry taste I crave. I grafted Red Haven so I have the traditional yellow now. Bred in Michigan it’s a good choice for my area.

Anyway I will grow these out and see what happens? Considering the good luck I had with Irene, my new raspberry cultivar, I have high hopes. Working now on some blackberry crosses, and also would like to grow out Nadia, and Flavor King seeds for fun.

4 Likes

The fruit tastes good, but it gets soft very quickly, so I’m planning to improve it by crossing it with a hard nectarine or with a Santa Rosa plum.

I apologize for the late reply, Mrs G. I thought that I had replied to your comment.

5 Likes

Here’s another one from the same tree.

5 Likes

If I was close to you I would for sure.

2 Likes

This is the same peach variety as of those pictures above, but fully ripe

3 Likes