Hybridizing stone fruits

10 Likes

Wow - love that inner glow! How does it taste?

3 Likes

It tastes like an Elberta peach but jucier.

3 Likes

Nice! You should keep this one and cross some other varieties into it like you said to keep it firm when fully ripe.Do you have a name for it? How about Inferno (fiery interior). The Inferno Peach series!

3 Likes

I’m going to create a line of red-flesh peaches and trade mark them as “Ruby” series.

3 Likes

Looks nice, I will have some red fleshed peaches too eventually. I got three seedlings going, I need time though. Indian Free x Arctic Glo. I just want a red fleshed peach that ripens before October, hoping these do. Arctic Glo ripens in August here. I need to compare the seedlings. One is in ground, two in pots. And nothing is as red as arctic Glo except maybe Indian Blood, and some of the Spanish peaches I have seen.

2 Likes

My proprietary F2 peach x almond hybrid is starting to leaf out again.

4 Likes

The Nectarine branch broke today due to the weight of the Nectarines. As a result, I had to remove them from the branch, crack the seeds, collect the kernels and place them into cold-stratification.

These are the same Flavor Top Nectarines that I pollinated with apricot pollen when they used to be flowers. So the there’s a great chance that each kernel could have Nectarine x Apricot interspecific hybrid embryos developing inside them.

The kernels will remain in cold stratification for two to three months or until they begin to germinate. After they start germinating, I will transplant them into their idividual pots and then seperate the hybrids from the non-hybrids.

6 Likes

Here it is again, my proprietary Soleil Peachmond, an interspecific hybrid beyween Elberta Peach, pollen parent, x F1 Nonpareil Almond, seed parent.

5 Likes

Luna Peachmond.

4 Likes

Is it for eating or for the pit?

5 Likes

I created it as a breeding stock for rootstocks and self-pollinating almonds.

1 Like

how long does it take you from seed to fruit usually with the prunus family?

3 Likes

This variety germinated in 2013 and it first fruited in 2016.

3 Likes

Wow that’s quick! Very cool! I look forward to trying my hybrids.

2 Likes

Two more weeks and my proprietary SunRose Peacharines will be ripe. They are a cross between Elberta Peach, seed parent, x LeGrand Nectarine, pollen parent.

11 Likes

You have possible Nadia x Flavor King pluot and Flavor King Pluot x Indian Red peach hybrids?

1 Like

I might release Sunrose Peacharine Scionwood this Winter.

1 Like

Well if I was lucky and the seed grows.

Indian Free, I tried but none germinated that I thought could be crosses.

3 Likes

I just placed these two F1 nonpareil almond kernels

into cold stratification. I hand pollinated them with flavor top nectarine pollen.

2 Likes