Hybridizing stone fruits

No, and you can see through the bag once a fruit starts you can remove it. I cut it open and leave it tied, so I can see what flower(s) I hand pollinated. On raspberries some drupes were not pollinated, so the berries have missing fruit drupes. It tells me my technique worked, and that other pollen was kept out. Yeah this year my wife was showing my garden to her mother and she ate one of my crossed berries! Argh! Luckily I crossed about 5 berries so had plenty of seeds.

Yes good observation. Interesting to note that the Spice Zee Nectaplum is self fertile. For me the Arctic Glo and Indian Free were so good I found the nectaplum fruit rather boring. It was good, but glo and free just grab you and have a wow factor lacking in many fruits. Friends and neighbors I gave fruit to were asking me for more. Some is your own tastes, which is very subjective. I thought Flavor King was like that. It was really different from any plum i ever had. A definite wow factor also. Hoping Nadia is like that too!

1 Like

Drew, I didn’t like the Tri-Lite peach plum either. It was bland for a peach, and not as juicy as plums. That may be, it did not like my cooler climate.

Floyd Zaiger’s people grow out 50,000 crosses a year. They are ok with one out of 10,000 working. The numbers in the article are daunting for the hobbyist. But - they have priorities different from the home gardener - shipping, yield, size, appearances, uniqueness, etc as well as flavor. I think there is still a place for the home gardener dabbling on some pollen in their back yard - as long as we are realistic that our product won’t be in 1,000 grocery stores in 10 years. Or even one grocery store.

1 Like

Yes, but I do know one home grower who has a black raspberry selling at Nourse Farms and Gurney’s! Pete Tallman. I have emailed him a few times and he even sent me seeds. Some very cool unique black raspberry seeds. He is retiring and gave me his latest creation as he has no plans to market it.

1 Like

If they hybridized with each other, the peacharine will have fatter and longer leaves than the peach parent.

I ordered an Indian Free Peach for the 2016 season. And I’m planning to cross it with Flavor Top Nectarine. I will use Indian Free peach as the pollen parent because if the crosses were successful, the nectarine seedlings will inherit the red-flesh from Indian Free Peach.

In my case their is no “if”, the tree is not self fertile, it has to be a hybrid.

Yeah that would probably work! I hope to have a number of seedlings, I will see if the wood after next summer is large enough to harvest a scion. I could use the rest as a rootstock too. That’s the plus of this too. Many growers grow out peaches to use as rootstocks. I plan to do that too. I can clone trees myself this way.
I would like to move, although moving keeps getting pushed back. If I do I can take my trees this way.

Hey that sounds good! Any scion?

1 Like

That’s what I did with half a dozen apple seedlings this past March/April. I had a 100% take rate with them (I grafted to a 3-4 year old tree), though peach will often be tougher.

1 Like

Bob, any specific traits or qualities you’re trying to combine in your seedlings?

I didn’t describe it here, as they aren’t stonefruit, but, since you asked :smile:

I planted 3 types (6 seedlings total):
1.) Goldrush x Hudson’s Golden Gem- This takes a great flavorful apple (Goldrush) and mixes it with a very large tasty (sweet) apple.
2.) Goldrush seedling- one of my favorites and a great keeper
3.) Golden Russet Seedling- absolute favorite apple

All 3 of the above can get over 20 brix, so I suppose I’m mostly going for sugar/flavor. Each of them is also scab resistant/immune, so hopefully disease resistance would be good.

I’ve been thinking about what to breed next year and Sweet Sixteen, Pitmaston Pineapple, Scarlet O’Hara, and Ashmead’s Kernel are all worth considering.

Edit: I should also mention that the crosses I made this spring didn’t take (either bad pollination timing or I lost the apple to bugs or critters). I did plant a dozen+ seeds a bit over a week ago from Scarlet O’Hara and Pitmaston Pineapple.

1 Like

Yes, I have Flavor Top Scionwood available.

Ha !!! LOL.

1 Like

TWM,

How good does FT compare to Flavor King?

Tony

I might not have enough Data to compare FT with Flavor King pluot because FT is a very poor producer. I had it since 2012, it produces a lot of flowers, out of that many flowers, only four or five produce fruit, but only one or two reach maturity.

Last year I was lucky enough to get one fruit and taste it, the flavor was great and juicy. But, I think I might prefer FK, at least for now.

I was also lucky that FT produced a viable seed, thus I was able to stratified it; and fast forward a year later, I have a semi-wiping foot-and-half Nectarine tree. The pollen parent could be a peach?

I always wanted to cross Dapple Dandy Pluot with a peach so I could obtain a Dappled- like peach ( peaplumcot) with red flesh. And since Dapple Dandy pluot is now off- patent, next year, I will pollinate DD flowers with my F1 Elberta peach.

Drew, you should try this!

I will also cross Flavor Top Nectarine with my proprietary plumcot, I will call the hybrid " Nectaplumcot."

Weatherman, it is legal and OK to use pollen or seeds from patented fruit varieties. You cant take cuttings or grafts, but seed progeny are genetiically unique, so for plants that are not genetically engineered, seeds are not govered by the variety’s patent.

Genetically engineered plants are different because it’s the gene that is patented.

I think.

1 Like

Yes, I may play with DD.

OK when the time comes, or whenever scion harvest time is for you, I would not mind some. We talked about another trade earlier. For me here, best scion collecting time is around January 21st, but I can collect earlier or later of that would help. I think you mentioned wanting FK wood, if still needed?

1 Like

If that’s the case, I will cross Nadia with a raineer cherry, and with Dapple Dandy pluot.

Around the 21st sounds great!

Yes, I’m still interested in FK.

You are correct, and I doubt you would lose in a court case, although it seems to considered unethical not to ask permission though. As I have seen patent holder’s state it’s ok to use in another cross. Why would they state the obvious? I saw this with the New Berry blackberry cultivar. So I think informing patent holder of intention is expected, unless stated otherwise. Now this goes for professional breeders, and I agree Weatherman can use whatever he wants… If he happens to hit on something with commercial potential, he may consider informing patent holders. Frank Zappa described his music as having “No Commercial Potential”. That is the name of a famous bootleg of his music. Speaking of patent violations! I once sold a Zappa bootleg on Ebay, a very rare one for $2,900.00 to some guy in France. Bootlegs are unauthorized recordings. Sale of them is also illegal but Ebay loved the fees it collected, and looks the other way. I still have boots of The Doors, Janis Joplin and Zappa that are worth thousands of dollars each.

3 Likes

Why do you have to ask permission? It is neither explicitly stated in law, nor implied that one should notify a patent holder before using their cultivar in a cross.

BTW - the two ways a breeder can protect their plant is with patent law, or the Plant Variety Protection Act.
The Plant Variety Protection Act explicitly lays out three exemptions that limit the rights of the plant breeder. The research exemption falls under 7 U.S. Code § 2544 and states “The use and reproduction of a protected variety for plant breeding or other bona fide research shall not constitute an infringement of the protection provided under this chapter.”
Patent law states that : “In the case of a plant patent, the grant shall include the right to exclude others from asexually reproducing the plant, and from using, offering for sale, or selling the plant so reproduced, or any of its parts, throughout the United States, or from importing the plant so reproduced, or any parts thereof, into the United States.”
At no point does patent law include any rights in regard to sexual plant reproduction.

1 Like