Insect and Disease Identification Thread

It’s to early to say but it could be Blossom Blast http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/bacterial_canker_ice_nucleation_frost_injury_and_blossom_blast_in_sweet_che

Thank you, Clark. But we had no freezing temperature the last two days, the night lows were 44 F. Just a lot of rain. It is probably something else…

1 Like

We have another thread on this forum
http://growingfruit.org/t/apricot-issue-verticillium-wilt
Which is mentioning Moniliose (Brown rot or twig blight). As soon as it gets drier I’ll spray the threes. Is anybody know how to fight it?

When I was dumping my potting mix out of my 10 gallon root pouches last fall I almost put my hand down right on top of a black widow. 2 days later my dad was helping me finish and found two more. I could feel phantom creepy crawlies for the rest of the day. Nothing gives me the heebie heebie like spiders.

Absolutely black widows are dangerous. I bet that did make you feel like that.

1 Like

Here is damage caused by locust leaf miners. the only fruit I’ve seen them on are my apples. Akane and Williams Pride to be specific. I’ve crushed 4 or 5 of them.

Preying Mantis emerging

10 Likes

I have no idea what kind of worm this is but it likes my plum leaves. Bill

Never seen that one before Bill. Almost looks slug-like

1 Like

Looks like some type of a sawfly larvae, Bill.

Patty S.

1 Like

Likely Pear Sawfly (Pear slug) Caliroa cerasi, if yours are darker colored when smaller.

2 Likes

Gummosis? Some gnarly citrus disease.

I think that is a March fly. Thought it was a spider wasp at first, then maybe a robber fly, but March fly seems like a perfect match if the head is the same.

Bibionidae - March Fly. That’s a match. Thanks.

Any idea what is up with this little Crimson Passion Cherry? I have two I received and planted this spring and they are both sick with something. I have more pictures if they would help.

Oz,
You may get more response if you create a new thread asking for help for your bush cherry.

Close up pictures of the leaves and the zoom out pictures of the whole tree and the ground will be helpful, too

Saw this on my almond branch. It looks like a case. It isn’t soft. Good guy? Bad guy?

Sorry it is out of focus - was trying to zoom in. Here is another angle.

1 Like

I’ve seen them around my place as well

Any Idea what this is on my Meyer Lemon?

1 Like

Sean, I can’t tell if yours is a young one of these or not. Check for single orange dots, usually on the undersides of leaves, to look for eggs.

The swallowtails hit mine last year, but it was later in the season. They won’t eat enough to harm a large tree, but can be damaging to small ones.