Insect and Disease Identification Thread

@dutch-s I thought that would be blister mites, but it looks like pecan leaf phylloxera is much more likely.

2 Likes

Looks like some type of insect that has created galls.

2 Likes

With a little further research I would say you are correct Hoosier. They appear to not kill the tree which is great but I am expecting Nuts down the road so Iā€™ll start my Treatment Of Neem this late fall and continue with recommended treatments in the Springā€¦Thanks!!

1 Like

This is not a fruit tree. It is a Pine. Wondering if anyone can identify this and if I should tear up the tree and burn it?

1 Like

Great thread. Iā€™ve seen just about all of these things posted with pictures. Iā€™ve always said ā€œIā€™ll look it up laterā€ but always forget to. Glad Iā€™ve got this thread to refer to now.

1 Like

That is white pine blister rust.
Alternate host is goose berry / current

2 Likes

Thanks HHā€¦Do you know if it is harmful? To the tree or any others? Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll just yank it up by the roots?

1 Like

It should be pretty bad for the tree. This disease is a reason currants and gooseberries were restricted in US, as white pine was important for economic. Now most gooseberries and currants cultivars are resistant to it.

Iā€™ve long been convinced that my insect problem is worst than most, but this is insane. Itā€™s only March, and most of my peach trees are just now in full bloom. About the time it was getting dark I was in my orchard and noticed several of my blooming trees already were absolutely INFESTED with moths. Iā€™m talking about HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS of them. Crawling all over every bloom. GOOD GRIEF! Iā€™ve only sprayed copper and fungicide so far because I didnā€™t want to harm bees, and usually I donā€™t get a lot of bugs until shuck split. But this year obviously Iā€™ve got worse/earlier problems.

Any idea what kind of moths these are? Honestly, these are awful photos because I had to spray a little bug killer on these to get them to be still for a photo, and it made them look a little different. basically, they are about 3/4th to 1 inch with fat bodies and are a solid, light brown color.

As the crawled over and into each bloom and went from tree to tree, it occurred to me that they COULD be help polinating my trees, but knowing how hard I get hit by OFM each year, moths make me nervous. Any ideas what these guys are, whether they are harmful, and if I should go ahead and spray my trees with pesticide while blooming considering how serious they are under attack by these moths?

Grapholita molesta, the Oriental fruit moth .???
Maybe ? Canā€™t tell from your pic

Yea, the pic isnā€™t very good. I am fairly sure it isnā€™t OFM. The photos I see of OFM show them to have various shades on each bug and usually a bit of grey. These are all the same shade of light brown all over. Also, at rest ofm seem to look fairly slender with wings tucked in. These guys donā€™t seem to tuck their wings up like that so they look to have a wider wing span even at rest. Anyway, thanks for responding

Not OFM, that is a tortrix family moth with body parts shaped as thecityman describes (slender body, rolled wings). In any case, BT should help prevent larval damage.

Your moths do appear to have wing borders that are darker than the inner wing; it would help to have better pictures; try capturing and chilling one.

So , All this talk about Brown Rot made me take a picture of my Cherry Tree. I really donā€™t know if this is just growth joints or is it Brown Rot? Anyone?

1 Like

I cannot find a reference to brown rot in this topic. Brown Rot usually refers to a problem with the fruit itself, not to other plant parts.

2 Likes

Geezā€¦Iā€™m such a rookie.Thanks Larry. I looked it upā€¦you are so rightā€¦

1 Like

That looks like the differentiation between a years growth.

3 Likes

Any guidance on this. It came from scionwood from one of the crfg exchanges. Plum and apricot affected.

It might be a nutrient issue due to the graft not fully going yet, or partial incompatibility. It doesnā€™t look too much like any disease, its a bit like bacterial spot but not strongly enough to me.

2 Likes

So once again (posted about this problem last year) my grape vine in the greenhouse is having this problem. It has started much earlier this year than last. The grape just started growing and I am now seeing this problem, last year it did not show up until mid season.

It first expresses itself as some reddish-brown spots on the leaves, and the edges of the leaves start curling down-wards. Also the bottom of the leaves start becoming more opaque with a whitish coating. Eventually the leaves curl up, become uniformly/mostly brown, and then die. I have not seen any insects nor their signs (holes or chewed edges). But when taking the pics I see on the first photo (0332) some dew-like drops on that new new just affected leaf towards the bottom in there might be a clue.

Although on an entirely different plant, the symptoms a a bit similar to Goyoā€™s leaf issues on plums just above here in this thread.

I am including some pictures. Anyone have any idea what could be going on here???

How humid is your greenhouse? Given your climate and how far along your grapes are Iā€™d suspect very humid. You probably have it closed up nearly 24/7 for warmth. That would make me suspect a fungal issue. The symptoms have that look as well.

1 Like