Insect and Disease Identification Thread

No, those are the monodontomerus wasps, very tiny

3 Likes

Tiphia wasps were imported to control Japanese Beetles and the USDA is supposed to do all sorts of studies before letting anything go to make sure they won’t affect native species.

1 Like

Here is the monodontomerus wasp - those rings on the abdomen are very distinctive, although you’d need magnification to see them.

1 Like

I noticed last night that some of the cells of the laminates are now filled up and mudded over. I’ll be real curious how many cacoons I get from this. I’ll try to grab a picture tonight.

Hey wise sages of fruit growing! I have issues with some of the stone fruits on my multi-graft fruit trees, and I was wondering whether anyone could enlighten me as to their source. I sprayed Imidan a couple of times once my apple blossoms were mostly done (early May, I think?), so I’m surprised to see these things persisting.

1 Like

It’s this PC or FB or none of the above?

2 Likes

Look like apple scab to me.

2 Likes

There are some apples, no mater how much I spray I get this on them every year. Time to remove.

1 Like

Sorry did have my camera with me but the other day I reported finding a fallen peach from my scarlett prince that had clear gel coming out of it. Concensus was that it was insect damaged. Yesterday I found another one and when I cut it open I say small white larva. Kinda reminded me of a small termite. Anyone know what this might be?

After looking at some pics I believe it’s OFM :frowning:

2 Likes

@BobC
Mamuang is correct thats apple scab and I also see coddling moth damage. These pictures will help you figure out the common diseases just click the dots in the problem gallery section Apple tree problems: frequently asked questions / RHS Gardening. Brown rot typically infects the apple once the lesions exist and the apple partially rots.

3 Likes

If the worm crawled away, it was OFM. If it wiggled around ( no feet), it could be Plum Curculio. If the feeding damage was at the seed, likely coddling moth.

4 Likes

It definitely crawled away! Scurried to be exact. I had to keep cutting into pieces of the fruit to find it. So It must be OFM. What is the best control for this?

1 Like

Those who spray insecticide seem to say Imidan is effective. I spray with Triazicde. It is not as effective. Then, I bag.

If you have a few fruit, fewer than 50 ( or even a hundred), )bagging after first spray or two is not a lot of work at all.

2 Likes

If it has a head capsule and legs, it’s a caterpillar [moth]
If it has a head capsule and no legs, it’s a grub ]PC]
If it has neither, it’s a maggot [fly]

5 Likes

Anyone know what is going on with this apple fruits? The variety is Cox’s Orange grafted last year. Soon after fruitlets have formed they started to russet and then split. We had no rain at the time so it is not because of heavy rains. I thought that they will fall off but they continued to grow. I have many other varieties grafted on this tree and its neighbors but none of them have any splitting or russeting. Is this something that I should worry about?

I’d still suspect that this is water related. It must have rained or you watered at some point. The russeting could be a spray related issue. That might have made them more susceptible to splitting. It’s probably a variety specific problem meaning that variety is prone to split.

1 Like

Thank you, @fruitnut. I’ve read some more about this condition and now at least I know that it is not contagious. It is very variety specific and caused by the various stress factors including the excess of water. I did sprayed wettable sulfur on apples in the spring too. Those two apples look very ugly and none of the other varieties seems to be affected, it is amazing.

2 Likes

I occasionally see similar apple damage on my Lodi apples, but not as extensive/deep and typically around the stem end.

I had always thought it was scab related; here it did not seem to be water related. I have started doing some copper sprays and Surround earlier in the season, which so far has eliminated the problem on the Lodi. I have not seen any such problems on my other varieties.

2 Likes

Maria,
I had the same problem with Cox’s last year in Des Moines. I think it"s a heat problem. Stephan Hayes reports that Cox will do this in hot, plains climates, and we have had some heat. Kinda ruins the apples…
Chikn

2 Likes

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about what the “blossom end rot” on the end of this zuke is.

The rot always starts at the blossom end, and proceeds quickly. The zuke in the pic was fine a day or so ago. It also hits larger more mature zukes. The rot will eventually take over the entire fruit if it is not removed. These are being grown in a greenhouse (our zucchini supply until the outside plants start producing).

I thought it might be related to a bug/slug eating its way in from the blossom scar, but I have not noticed any critters in rotted parts.

Thoughts as to what it might be, and cures?

1 Like