Introducing myself to Scott's forum

I’m in SC, actually. But, yes, the Carolinas have lots of diversity in carnivorous plants. It’s one thing that our areas of low nutrient, acidic, bog prone, clay/peat soil is actually good for.

If Nature doesn’t give me a break from the repeated rain and flooding we’ve been having since mid September, maybe I’ll have to give up on trying to grow fruit and develop a giant carnivorous plant that thrives on rabbits and squirrels. :wink:

We actually saw a strange thing called sunshine all of yesterday, with highs in the upper 70’s. Today started out promising, too, but it quickly reverted to a dreary blah, and dropped to the lower 60’s. I’m beginning to feel like I’ll never walk on solid, unsquishy ground again.

What a “muddy mess!”

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

Long time follower, occasional poster, of the Fruit forum on GW and found this site thru a mention there.I have followed the regulars there and learned a lot. This site is a great improvement - thank you Scott!

I live just south of Atlanta and have the pleasure of long hot humid summers, red clay, disease and insects aplenty.

The good news, we bought a house this summer and I now have room for a few fruit trees. This will be a busy winter selecting varieties and grafting. I plan on using the tall spindle system to maximize the number of varieties.

Over the next few weeks I will be seeking advice from all the experts here. In the meantime, I wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season!

Fred

1 Like

Welcome, Fred! Always delighted to see another southeasterner join in. A new house will give you lots of opportunity to enjoy your fruit growing experience. Enjoy it!

I’m a little south of Atlanta and west, over in Carroll county. I’ve found so many helpful people and so much useful information on this site. I’m sure you will too.

Fred, welcome to the group.

Welcome Fred. This is a great place to share and learn. I’m located east of Birmingham in a similar climate as yours. Bill

Welcome Fred,

Glad to have you here. Enjoy the upcoming pest wars.

Its all worth it

Mike

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I’m excited about being here and participating in the discussions. I feel like I know everyone from reading posts.

I will start a thread tomorrow about my orchard plans and questions. Looking forward to everyone’s feedback.

haldog, sounds like you are just across the 'hooch. I’m on the north side of Newnan.

2 Likes

Welcome, Fred! I’ve been a little MIA due to a very busy home life right now, but very glad you found us, and you’ll have lots of support on the forum for your climate and your orchard plans. I look forward to hearing what you plan to grow, and how. I always have so very much admiration for those with difficult climates or significant pest pressure. I am very fortunate to live in an area of the country that has very little pest/disease pressure. It can be a lot of work in areas such as yours, but the rewards are outstanding. Nothing in the world like picking a bit, fat, juicy peach on a warm spring day, and letting the juice run down your chin! Allows us all to be 8 years old, again!

Thank you Hoosierquilt, I’m anxiously awaiting fresh fruit.

Hi! I’m so glad I found you guys! I kind of drifted away from GW after the takeover, and keep trying to go back and be satisfied and have found it unpleasant. I just found a post mentioning this forum and popped on over and immediately saw comforting names of people I consider experts, or at least expert enough!

My schooling and training was as a research scientist, system analyst, and computer programmer, so at times I get a little too obsessed with how things work and what affects the results even more so than actually GETTING to those results. My recent obsession over the last decade has been centered around seeing how self sufficient I can get with the standard 1/3 acre postage stamp of land in the suburbs. It’s long been a fascination of mine with how people can produce enough for their own needs but deem it “worthless” because they don’t generate commercial levels of success.

To that end, I started playing with apple trees to make a living fence on the side of my yard, and crammed an extremely small, way too densely packed “orchard” on the other side, with my veggies in the back in the middle. It’s my goal not to necessarily provide for all my needs, but to come to some kind of a balance point in effort and what fruit is available through out the year. I’m trying to use different varieties, heavy pruning, and tight spacing to stagger my harvest so there’s always a fruit of some kind available in the summer, and greens available all winter.

I don’t want to admit to being addicted, because I resisted buying anything new this year, but the last two years I’ve spent several hundred dollars on a bunch of very promising sticks in my yard, and a handful of peaches and plums. And I’ll be danged if those peaches weren’t some of the most exciting things I’ve eaten recently. I’m up to 37 trees, mostly apple, but also a selection of stone fruit, including peaches, cherries, plums, nectarines, almonds, persimmon, pomegranates, and persimmons. And, of course, a mulberry twig. (Almost tall enough enough to decide what height to pollard).

Most of the trees are less than three years old, and only the peaches and plums have even considered fruiting yet, so essentially, what I’m saying is all my knowledge is theoretical.

5 Likes

Hi, Ryan! It sounds like you are going to fit in here very well!. I’m glad you found us. You have much in common with many members, from your occupation to growing as many fruit trees as you can fit into a standard lot, and trying to be as self sufficient as you can. Many here share those things, and more, with you.

I see you are in zone 7. What area of the country (or world)?

I’m glad you found us, and glad you joined. I think you will be, too.

2 Likes

Welcome Ryan

I’m in Raleigh, NC, so I’m waging a constant battle against bugs and fungus!

Welcome, Ryan! Glad you found us, and yes, this is a very nice forum, I’m sure you’ll see a few familiar faces here.

Glad you’re here! Happy New Year!

Welcome Ryan,

Good to see you found us. This is developing into a pleasant community were helpfulness has found a home.

Mike

1 Like

Hello from Texas
Guess it’s time to introduce myself, since I been wondering on this forum for awhile now. I’m located on the Southern part of Texas in Eagle Pass. I currenty own about 40 fruit trees, which mostly are Dave Wilson trees. Thanks Scott for such a great forum.

1 Like

Welcome E P Tex