Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Parthenocarpy is what we used in school.

OOOPSā€¦

This thread is moving away from the ā€œINTRODUCING MYSELFā€¦ā€ concept of the title.

Can we move this tangent to its own thread.?

Just so there is no mis-understandingā€¦
NOT BECAUSE I OBJECT BUT BECAUSE THE INFORMATION BEING PROVIDED MIGHT NOT BE SEEN BY OTHERS WHO DONā€™T REGULARLY CHECK INTO THIS THREAD. :innocent:

Mike .

Mike you are right. I also removed some silliness from my previous two posts. Iā€™m writing under the influence of the flu and am not very clear headed.

Hello everyone. Iā€™ve spent the past few weeks reading old posts and it looks like I have a second home now. My name is Art and Iā€™m a new fruit grower who lives near Atlanta, GA. On my 3/4 acre lot I currently have the following growing:

1 methley plum
1 late Santa Rosa plum
1 autumn brilliance service berry
2 multi grafted apples from Dave WIlson nursery
1 nectaplum
1 multi grafted pluot from Dave Wison nursery
2 fuyu persimmons
1 stella cherry
1 multi grafted disease resistant pear from Dave Wilson nursery
1 pineapple quince
2 mulberry trees
6 blueberry bushes (tiftblue, powerblue, Climax and brightwell)

I also have elderberries, black berries, kiwis and a decent size garden for annuals. As you can imagine Iā€™ve become a bit of a gardening nut. :smile: Looking forward to interacting with others on the forum and learning from your experiences.

1 Like

Welcome Mickster, you may not be aware that there is a scion exchange coming up on next Saturday January 23rd in the Atlanta area. it is a great way to meet other fruit growers, here is some information provided by Atlanta Fruits, a local fruit growing Yahoo group

scion exchange

1 Like

Art,

Welcome and enjoy the feast.

Mike

2 Likes

Mick,

Welcome to the group.

Climax rabbiteye is a good one. Another late-season bloob to consider is Ochlockonee. Itā€™s my favorite rabbiteye. Isonā€™s Nursery of Georgia has it.

You will love your Santa Rosa and Methley plums- both good choices.

Cheers.

Welcome Mickster. Although Iā€™m a state over from you we share the zone 7b location. Looking forward to sharing growing tips for our area. Bill

Hello. I have been growing figs for 10 years near the Delaware/Pennsylvania border, just a dozen trees at first and when they began producing a few years later I was hooked and added a lot more over the past 6 years. It has been challenging, and I have lost or discarded lots of plants but I really love ripe figs.

I also have an interest in pawpaws which began around the same time I went fig crazy; lost my first seedlings over the winter and so that was 2 years of growing lost. So I have 30+ seedlings planted out that are 3 years old now and I think some are ready for grafting. I was most interested in selecting a new variety but my patience is getting thin :wink: Still want to do that in the future and plan on starting more seedlings this year.

I also have a lonely Tifblue in a container that i almost killed 2 years ago using a mix that has compost. An All Red plum that is half girdled/rotted from a tree tube that needs help this spring. An Asian pear that was supposed to be a serviceberry from EL, it seems to be having root problems and the fruit has been poor so it is probably going to be replaced with something else. A Date Plum that dies back and has never fruited, strawberries that the deer ate :cry: Tried watermelons last year, New Orchid was really good. Also have some jujube suckers that I potted up from last year to plant out this year and graft the next.

I have really enjoyed reading through the forum so far and hope to keep learning and help out when I can. Thank you all for having me.

-Brent

1 Like

Brent!

Welcome! Another Mid-Atlantic guy-- excellent.

What fig varieties you growing? Which have been your best performers? In-ground or in pots?

-Matt

I have a few dozen different varieties now. Originally I wanted to find just a few types that would do well in the ground and raised them up to 3 gallon pots but I have been keeping a bunch in larger fabric containers for the past few years.

The Etna types are still the best I have tried planting here, tasty, early ripening, rain resistant, precocious, and vigorous. Florea was really good last year in the ground also.

Brent,

Welcome and good cheer.

I am sure that you are going to have a figginā€™ good time here.

Mike

1 Like

Welcome!:frog:

Welcome Brent. Scott set Us up real good here with this very active fruit forum.

Tony

1 Like

Welcome Brent. This is a great forum

1 Like

Welcome, Brent! Glad to see you here on the forum, I know you from various other forums and appreciate all your fig knowledge. Some of your very early posts are what got me to really re-try figs, and of course, a love affair has ensued.

Patty S.

Hello In January 2013 I planted my first fruit trees in Colorado near Denver and really relied on GardenWeb and MileHiGalā€™s posts over the years, plus all of the regulars who have ended up here. But after two years we sold the house and moved back to California for work and I left my little trees behind without ever tasting the fruit except for some mulberries and some potted figs that I didnā€™t care for although they seemed to be fully ripe. I think I could have done well in Colorado most years by keeping the stone fruit trees small and covering and giving them heat to protect the blossoms, and especially by not growing more than I could protect. Two little pawpaw did fine and survived the Nov 2014 cold snap that killed some of my other trees.

Now I am in a rental house in northern Sunnyvale a couple miles south of the SF bay. Sunset magazine places us in zone 17, the same as San Francisco but I donā€™t have a good idea yet how hot/sunny it actually gets in summer here. This year seems to be a much more typical California winter with rain and some chilly mornings in November and December. I am really wanting to plant something but worried that I will have to move before I see any fruit. The trees in the neighborhood are full of oranges, lemons, etc. and the callery pears have just started to bloom. There are no fruit trees in our yard but the neighborā€™s loquat hangs over our yard, not much fruit on those branches though.

Maybe I will spend this year mostly tasting and observing and figuring out what I like. My mother-in-law is in Yuba City north of Sacramento and she has lots of stuff: huge walnut trees but the squirrels get almost all of them, a pecan, apricot, peach, Santa Rosa plum, a just planted Satsuma mandarin, a big tree with some kind of wonderful big mandarins, a grapefruit tree that isnā€™t that great, a huge lemon tree. She had a big navel orange tree that did great for many years until it came down in a storm and she cut it down, probably prematurely, because the replacement tree is still tiny 5+ years later probably from gophers eating the roots. I am going to visit this weekend and help her plant a new navel orange tree, this time in a cage to keep the gophers out. Iā€™m sure she would be happy to put up with my experiments with pruning and thinning and grafting and planting a few new things.

Olreader,
I recognize your handle name. Welcome. Glad you have found us.

1 Like

Welcome, hoosierbanana. Are you sure you are not hoosierfigs :slight_smile: glad you are here.

Welcome!

1 Like