Introducing myself to Scott's forum

I’ve lurked the old gardenweb forum for a couple years now but never participated. I thought I was the only one who hated it when gardenweb joined Houzz and went downhill so I was happy to find out about this refuge and many of the same people who moved here.

You guys don’t know me but I already know some of you. Particularly fruitnut (from your pluot pictures and brix quests) and scottsmith (because you grow in a similar climate).

I’m in Zone 7A/7B, have always enjoyed gardening (food), have moved into fruit trees the past four years. My favourite fruit trees are European Plums, Pluots, Persimmons, PawPaw, and Figs.

Some things I’m interested in learning more about on this forum are proper pruning and training techniques, grafting and propagation techniques, and how to deal with disease. I also have an interest in automation as relates to gardening and agriculture.

3 Likes

@dwn

Darwin,

Welcome to our cummunity of bountiful help to go along with the bountiful harvests to come.

Mike

Darwin! Welcome!:cherries:

Welcome, Darwin, glad you found our forum! Some very nice folks over here, as well as lots of great information.

Patty S.

Welcome Darwin. This is a great site to learn from. Bill

I enjoyed reading your story and got curious of Missoula, Montana. So I checked it out on Google map… Wow! What a beautiful place to live… I understand you hope to keep your house (and your wife, of course!).

Hi, everyone. This is the kind of forum I have been looking for. Thanks from all of us to Scott. I started my first garden which was a small Victory Garden behind our government living quarters while my dad was serving in WWII. I now live in NE Tennessee zone 6b. We have a 2 acre lot in town with only city water. The lot is on the side of one of the many ridges and it is very steep, but I can cultivate a large part as I put in terraces when I cleared it to build our house. I have about 100 blueberry bushes with about 1/3 in production. I also have one very prolific peach tree which was growing on the lot, probably from seed. We are able to fill our freezer with enough of the peaches, blueberries, tomatoes, and squash to last until the next harvest. I also have started a small vineyard. I was also on GW and appreciate the change.

3 Likes

Well Charles… we are also glad that you found your way here.

Just a bunch of people fruiting…

Mike

1 Like

Welcome Charles, you will love it here. Lots of infos on fruit trees to absorb.

Tony

1 Like

Hi, Charles. Welcome to the community! It’s a place where you can learn something new every day. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

1 Like

Yeah!!! You found us welcome!

1 Like

Hi everyone, I found the website about two months ago shortly after knee surgery. I live in south central Washington state, zone 7a (the dry side of the state, about 8 inches of rain per year). My patient wife, and our two young daughters live on a little over an acre of land. I currently have about 20 apple trees, several peaches, and cherries, plus a large garden.

2 Likes

Welcome Chris. You certainly have a location that allows you to convert anything you learn here into amazing fruit.

Welcome aboard Chris. I think you’ll find a wealth of information here to optimize the production of your orchard.

Feel free to Stop by the thread below to add you general location to our interactive map

Welcome Christ. You have found a great place to hang out. Bill

@ChrisL

Welcome and…

… be fruitful and multiply (the pleasure of eating what you grew, at least)

Mike

Rydnek and ChrisL,

Although I am late to the party, I’d like to welcome you to the forum. Glad to find us and hope you stay.

@rydnek : Hi Charles. Just wanted to say hello and welcome, especially since you are from Tennessee! I’m north of Nashville myself, and there is another one here from the Mcminnville area (sort of) named @RobThomas . Be sure to put yourself on the map so we’ll have some company! http://www.growingfruit.org/t/general-location-map-of-growingfruit-org-members/4332

Anyway, this is a great site with lots to offer so I hope we will see you around.
Kevin

Quick intro-

I found the forum while searching for some information on Jujube trees…

The community and responses drew me in so I decided to join.

I’m located in Vegas, actually Henderson and I recently purchased a home on an care with a few fruit trees.

This year I went from a few to many, basically an orchard, we have pomegranate, pluot, peach, almond, apricot, fig, kiwi, muscadine grapes, kumquat, grapefruit, lemon, lime, pear, and now jujube…

I’m looking forward to learning more from the community and share any knowledge I may have.

6 Likes

Welcome, Vegas. It looks like you have some good eating ahead of you!