Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Warm hellos everyone! So happy I’ve joined…am totally new to here and love reading/catching up on the old posts and delighted about the wealth of info here. Tripped over here by (a happy!) accident after looking at another’s site for some sour cherries trees that I was hoping to get my hands on for my hubby. So I’ll ask away as I’m still so new. Hubs is the tree guy and since acquiring our little piece of property, he’s added so much more trees - apples, pears, apricot/plum mixes, quince, currants, etc…but still not even close to being experts. There’s a Chinese proverb that says “best time to plant a tree, was 20 years ago.” so haha! I believe that’s his guiding principle. :smile:

5 Likes

Welcome aboard!

Welcome! Dig in and set roots

Emii, sounds like you and your husband are off to a great start. I don’t have any sour cherry trees but will have some small nanking cherry bushes this fall for sale or trade if interested.

Welcome

Emii,

Welcome. In your zone, don’t forget to check out jujubes, pawpaws, persimmons and figs. They are probably ones of the easiest fruit to grow.

Although you are in 8b many growers in Portland say they lack the heat needed to ripen many of the figs available on the market. I have a few friends in your neck of the woods and these are some they said do well Desert King, Tacoma Violet, Olympia, Kathleen Black, and Vern’s Brown Turkey to name a few.

Hi,
Have been busy on the farm trying to get ready for winter. I am growing some crabapples, pears, cherries, sea buckthorn, elderberries, blueberries, hardy blackberry, lignonberries, for this year. Add something new every year. Looking for hardy nuts.

HI, if you look up Citrus in the snow on Youtube, you can see tours of a similar greenhouse in Nebraska. For mine, I went with what I could afford, so the beams are 2" x 20’ pvc pipe so they are 40 feet wide but in an arc so it was supposed to be only 24’ wide but with rain and snow some of the wall caved in so it is roughly 26’-27’ wide. I am putting in rammed earth walls inside but we had a 3 day snowstorm and the roof is not all finished so I will wait for next week when the snow should melt. This is a combination wallipini /citrus in the snow greenhouse. I took what I could adapt to my location. I had a hill at the top of the garden area so we dug a hole in the top of the hill. This will give the roots and the bottom parts of the trees more protection from the severe winds we get. On the north side, we have a berm for solar storage.

3 Likes

Rob,

White Lady is a good selection for your locale. You will love it. Just give it lots of sun. Prune the tree into the shape of a martini glass. Watch the base of the tree for hole-boring insects. You’ll be eating peaches for many Augusts to come. Welcome to the group.

1 Like

White Lady is an easy peach to grow, but not on my list of worthwhile peaches- but then the only white peach I have that I love is Indian Free. which, if you’ve tried that one, you’d realize it is nothing like the typical white peach- it is high brix AND high acid…

Of white peaches that have low acid, like WL, the only one I consider outstanding that I’ve grown is Saturn, which has enough sugar to carry the lack of acid punch- but it is harder to grow than WL because of birds and yellow jackets that attack it before it is truly ripe here- it is also more prone to brown rot. WL, on the other hand, was bred to be picked hard- an industrial fruit designed for long storage. This trait is helpful for the home grower because fruit can be picked hard and ripened indoors where birds and wasps can’t come between you and harvest.

I would choose Rariton Rose over White Lady as a relatively easy and reliable white peach to grow.

That’s cuz Raritan Rose - like IF - also has more acid than the typical white peach! You are an acid lover. (So am I).

Yup. But I also like the idea of a peach that needs to be almost soft on the tree to be peak flavored so I have one over grocery shoppers.

Anyway RR is amazingly beautiful to behold in a loaded tree here. Very few fungal issues including relative resistance to brown rot. I guess White Lady also is resistant to BR.

I married an Ethiopian woman- what do I want with White Lady?

2 Likes

Holy crap I can’t believe it took me so long to find this forum! Houzz is killing me, I hate it. Hell I’ve even traded directly with Scott- heirloom garlic for a bunch of apple scions that right now are producing great apples off my trees a few miles away in central MD. Very happy to be aboard! Now, off to see what I can do about sooty blotch on my gold rush…

6 Likes

Welcome to GF. Hope you will stick around for a long time!

Tony

Welcome

Mike,

Welcome!

I’m in Frederick County. Cheers.

Glad you found it!

Welcome Mike, glad you found us!

Better late than never, except to your own funeral where never is better !!!

Glad you were able to leave the killing fields

Welcome. Enjoy !

Mike

2 Likes