Introducing myself to Scott's forum

It’s a pattern…many of us have been in the same place as you. It’s a terrific place to learn but if you have any tendency toward growing food of any sort it will make you an addicted fanatic! Welcome!

Katy

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I’ll surely be posting a lot since this is all quite new to me. There will surely be unfamiliar pests and diseases that have to be fought as my trees and bushes mature. I’m definitely the oddball of the neighborhood. None of the houses on the block or ajoining ones have any sort of edible plants as far as I can tell while walking or driving by.

3 Likes

Hi all
This is my first post and I hope I am doing it properly.
I was born and raised in Southern California. I have lived in several states ranging from California to New Hampshire. I have lived in Nebraska for the last 30 years.
For the last 15 years I have lived in rural Nebraska. Farm county, on a gravel road tending to 10 acres of land that the bank and I own😊. We have 200 apple trees and a few other fruit trees. We had a large garden and sold at farmers markets. We have had to scale back because I was diagnosed with a brain tumor and a few auto immune illnesses.
My husband is a custom cabinet maker and builds/remodels homes. He also does repair jobs for water, fire, and act of God type stuff on homes. He is self employed. I had to retire after working for 25 years with the local electric utility.
We know enough about orchards and gardening to be dangerous :smiley:. We have had to depend on the university of Nebraska to answer our questions so I am very happy to have found you all. I’m not quite sure how I got here. My Google search was for pre emerge for orchards and I ended up here, a very happy accident.
Because of my tumor and a traumatic brain injury I may spell words wrong, my grammar and punctuation will surely be a mess and I apologize in advance to the grammar police❤.
I’m happy to have found you!

16 Likes

No such police here! Welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome. You sound like one of us already!

3 Likes

Welcome Lissa. Folks are very nice and knowledgeable here. We also look forward to hear about your fruit (and veggie) growing endeavors. There are other Nebraskan members on here like @tonyOmahaz5 and @Antmary.

2 Likes

Thanks for the fast welcomes! I live about 45 minutes away from Omaha so anyone who has Omaha in their name is sure to be of great help.
We have 20 or more (I forget exactly how many) varieties of apple trees. Most are older varieties like macintosh, johnagold, johnamack, Cortland, redcourt, Swiss gourmet, delicious and so on.
When we purchased our property it came with the orchard, at that time there were 350 trees. A tornado came through in 2008 and knocked down 150 of our trees. We were assured by the previous owner that the orchard was easily managed, even with my husband and I both working full time jobs (hahaha, why yes, it did say sucker on our foreheads!).
We will soon (By soon I mean in the next few years) start renovating the orchard, removing aged out trees, planting some newer varieties and, hopefully, creating a destination site for weddings, parties, photograph setting and so on. We would also like to offer in season fruits, veggies, cider, and canned/baked goods for sale. This long range plan will, hopefully, bring in income at retirement and keep my husband busy and out of my hair. He is incapable of sitting still for more than an hour😀). When I married hubby, 25 years ago, he thought corn was born in a can. He has come a long way!

7 Likes

@Lissa

Welcome to our gardens and orchards where “Be fruitful and multiply” takes on a whole other meaning.:grin:.

Mike

3 Likes

Lissa,
Welcome aboard. I like the concept of your new project. Can’t wait to see it.

1 Like

I am a new member, introducing myself… tried to add my location to the map and am not tech savvy.

Dangrktty from Lake Worth, TX, USA, zone 8.

We grow vegetables and tomatoes in our aquaponics green house, asparagus and blackberries in raised beds.

7 Likes

Welcome!

If you post your location in the map topic, someone will add it to the map

Welcome aboard. We have a lot of skilled vegetable growers here but only a few grow aquaponically, I think. We are happy you have found us. There are quite a few members here from Texas.

Please add your state in your profile in addition to your zone.

@speedster1 is the person who can add your location to the map. I’ve alerted him for you.

Welcome aboard. You are now on the map.

Welcome, dshkir to the forum. I think you’ll enjoy your time here, lots of good info and people here. I’ve been growing fruit for a couple years now, and this site has been an invaluable resource.

Where are you now, if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

Southwest high desert. I’m sure I could grow some interesting things here if I had the opportunity but it’s definitely a different place from what I’ve been used to.

Ok. There are other Iowans on here, like @Chikn, @Levers101, @IowaJer, @kshaunfield.

@joleneakamama is in the higher areas of Arizona, I think, and grows all kinds of fruit, she might be able to recommend something that might work out for you.

Good luck, and welcome again.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I am Dave from Illinois zone 6b. This is my first year growing blackberries, raspberries and asparagus.I currently have 5 PAF,3 TC blackberries, 3 Joan J raspberries.

6 Likes

Welcome Dave.

Since you already have brambles, now you need to add fruit trees!!

Warning, growing fruit can be addictive.

1 Like

Hello Dave, welcome to the forum. I have those berry plants you mentioned, just planted them this spring, although only one per variety (except 5 Triple Crown) along with some other rasp and blackberries. Will be curious to hear about your results, as you’re in the same zone as me, 6b.

You have other Illinois folks on here, like @Barkslip, @ltilton, @IL847, and @ILParadiseFarm and other folks nearby. Enjoy your time here.

3 Likes

And strawberries!

1 Like