Invent your fantasy fruit?

It’s possible. This can be done by crossing one of Burbank’s seedless plum, as the pollen parent, with a Bing Cherry, as the seed parent.

Sounds like a good target to me. Maybe make it a nice free-stone, so I could cut it up like a peach? But I suppose if it is fantasy, make it seedless.

But, the great fruit is just the first part of the fantasy. The other important aspects are:
1- Fully hardy to zone 6 (selfish of me, but we don’t need to stretch reality further by making it zone 3 :slight_smile: )
2- Completely disease and pest resistant
3- Everbearing from May to November (might as well make it a good keeper, so that I can eat it year round).
4- Heavy producer (it will need very efficient leaves and roots to make so much high-brix fruit…)

To accomplish #3 would be tricky. I think it would need to partially ripen a fruit in the fall, then hold it over the winter and finish ripening it in the spring. I think figs are a bit like this with their breba crop.

I’ve had horrid jujubes which were like that from China-town (probably Li’s shipped from CA). Even some of my early ones were on the spongy side last year right at the start of the season. But two days of rain and all of a sudden they were back to crisp, with a hint of juice. From “OK” to “Wow”. They will never be drippy, but they can be very tasty.

They remind me of huge raisins. They are OK, but I prefer them fresh. Once I get enough harvest, I’ll experiment with how long they can keep in the fridge.

1 Like

I think that’s a great idea. But, I agree that the potential for the genes to “escape” into normal fruit would be bad. Maybe they could put a characteristically bad flavor in the same gene to act as a warning? Kind of like how the scent is added to natural gas. Another possibility is to make it produce no pollen. Still a bit of a risk. I’d hate to bite into a wild raspberry and have it kill me…

1 Like

not at all. You’d be surprised how different it will be from juju fruits sold in ethnic stores in cali or anywhere.

also, fruits get better as your tree matures.

While there are some hybridizers on this thread, I’d like to request a seedless passionfruit, and a less-acidic pineapple.:grinning: Oh, and a guava-strawberry cross. That grows chilled and on a popsicle stick?

1 Like

You might be able to taste your dream pinepple pretty soon:

“The pink pineapple has been genetically engineered to make the flesh pinker and sweeter than a traditional yellow pineapple by producing lower levels of enzymes that convert lycopene – the pink pigment present in tomatoes and watermelon – into yellow beta carotene, present in carrots.”

Source: Organic Authority.

1 Like

Making tropical fruits cold hardy.

1 Like

the ‘daet’ or ‘queen’ pineapple is low-acid. It is very sweet, juicy, but not messy-drippy, and does not have, or only have small amounts of the meat-tenderizer enzyme which could ‘digest’ tongues and palates…
only problem with this variety is that fruits are smaller, only about 10" and rather slender, so more expensive to produce.

I will try to find one of those, too, jujube. Because I can’t eat regular pineapples at all–instant sores in the mouth, painful!

Great idea! I’ve floated that idea too from the aspect of crossing hardy hybrid plums with the more hardy apricots. I’m still working on getting some apricot and pluots grafts started on my Alderman and Superior plums. My attempt at budding this fall failed.

Speaking of pineapples, the white pineapple from this video sounds like something to try. Anyone know where to find one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2eirbVTeNM

I have been having a hard time getting grafts to take, it may be better to ask for pollen! A few flowers cut off would do.I have FQ, FK, DD, and FS pluots. I don’t have any hardy plums, just Satsuma, and weeping Santa Rosa.

1 Like

I’m with Castanea–dream big. With genetic mod, why can’t it be possible some day to grow citrus fruit in Zone 5?

1 Like

hopefully the real mccoy is already available in usa.

as for sore mouths, i feel your pain, having experienced it several times due to my food-adventurer tendencies lol

seems like the white pineapples are the arctic jay equivalents of the pineapple, being low-acid, and high sugar. The low-acid pineapple was talking about is not as yellow as the bigger ones too, and the one on the video seems to have the same genes