Is Texas Persimmon (Diospyros Texana) worth growing?

Is Texas Persimmon (Diospyros Texana) worth growing?

1 Like

I am interested in this topic too… as well as Diaspyros nigra.

How far north have you zone pushers fruited these?

I see reports that texana can grow as low as Zone 7? Literature says fruits are small; sweet. Can anyone add more first-hand opinion?

Nigra is fruited in Florida. Said to taste like chocolate pudding.

2 Likes

…?..well is it.?

Yes, although fruit size can vary from dime size to quarter size. I have a bunch of seedlings and access to a superior female tree at a local nursery that has large fruit. Taste is excellent, very sweet persimmon taste with a hint of licorice.

6 Likes

You will use cuttings to graft your seedlings?

How much cold can they take?

1 Like

Yes, they are pretty much impossible to root from cuttings like most persimmon. Mine we’re unphased by 3 days of 18 degree freezes last year.

1 Like

Palazzophoto would you be willing to share seeds, scion wood, or pollen for postage or in a trade?

1 Like

Here is a video on the fruit and a taste review. Texas Persimmon (Diospyros texana) - Weird Fruit Explorer Ep 229 - YouTube

I’d be interested in some scionwood from that large fruited female! I have a small one in my greenhouse I can graft onto. It has not fruited for me yet as I just got it in Feb.

Hello
looking for seeds of diospyros texana.Thank you for answer

I’ve come across Texas persimmon:
“Texas persimmon, Diospyros texana, is found in northern Mexico and Central and West Texas; it is especially abundant in the Edwards Plateau area. The tree has small, purple fruit and is known for its peeling bark, which reveals shades of white, gray, and even pink on the trunk. It is not graft compatible with American or Oriental persimmons”

Other friends have told me that it isn’t also compatible with D. lotus. How about D. blancoi or nigra?

Has anyone here grafted cultivars to D. texana and are successful?

1 Like

Found this video today…sounds good.

2 Likes

do not forget Diospyros californica (in baja (MX) california )

Thank you for the Link above
I always liked his blog, and was actually searching my history
(on computer to post it , but My PC doesn’t save history right so YOU saved me time.)

(see quote below off youtube)

to search google
I like looking up the word chapote as you find more interesting links that way (or zapotal)
or for older publications a synonym is Brayodendron texanum (Scheele) Small
(like for instance Mexican hawthorn texoxotl or tejocote gives completely better results )

Looks like Washington Botanical gardens has it growing
(pictures here on Randy Stewart blog with other persimmon species)
click f ctrl (click in texas)

A Member here Mr. Texas has something on his blog
(it states female/ male tree’s can be found on the Missouri city Texas edible arbor trail link broke) _

3711 Raoul Wallenberg Ln, Missouri City, TX 77459
https://www.missouricitytx.gov/DocumentCenter/View/2250/Edible-Arbor-Trail-Brochure_merged?bidId=

(quote off You tube description (good to google some of these translations
(using quotations ie. “chapote manzano” )

These are berries from a Texas Persimmon Tree (Diospyros texana), one of many that I come across on my walks. The berries are fuzzy black 1/2 to 1" orbs containing a few inedible seeds with an extremely sweet black flesh. An easy fruit to identify and collect if in need of food in the wild.

Diospyros texana is a species of persimmon that is native to central and west Texas and southwest Oklahoma in the United States, and eastern Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo León, and Tamaulipas in northeastern Mexico. Common names include Texas Persimmon, Mexican Persimmon and the more ambiguous “black persimmon”. It is known in Spanish as Chapote, Chapote Manzano, or Chapote Prieto, all of which are derived from the Nahuatl word tzapotl. That word also refers to several other fruit-bearing trees.

D. texana is a multi-trunked small tree or large shrub with a lifespan of 30 to 50 years. It usually grows to 3 m (9.8 ft) in height, but can reach 12 m (39 ft) on good sites. The bark is smooth, light reddish gray, and peels away from mature trees to reveal shades of pink, white, and gray on the trunk

Far south Wholesale nursery has some chapote
https://farsouthnursery.com/index.php/available

Matt. as far as D. nigra or chocolate persimmon I bought some recently at Mexican shop
mostly for the seeds not much flavor
but your suppose to add whipped cream and put in smoothies (by themselves I read)
that was used b/c it was before Christmas whipping cream was used for deserts (pretzel salad)
Okay with sugar on top , but didn’t get to experiment with the cool whip.

I do also like woods roamer look at that bow (with the brown wood)
Woods Roamer: Search results for diospyros

1 Like

This first-year seedling didn’t blink at our winter low of 16°F at the end of a 6-day freeze, even though it was in a #3 pot outside all winter. I know @anon47724557 had expressed interest in knowing how these could handle a cold, wet winter here in Seattle. Well this was both unusually cold and unusually wet, so I think it’ll do ok here. We shall see later about fruit. I have more seeds cold stratifying that haven’t popped yet.

I just planted it in the ground after it passed the winter survival test:

2 Likes

I didn’t have patience to read the whole post, but that bow is beautiful.

Despite our near record cold and wet spring, this seedling continues to leaf out:

Some of the leaves look a little curled, so it’s possible that’s a sign of some fungus, but the newest leaves don’t seem affected.

1 Like

I wonder if it could be Pseudomonas bacteria, which apparently cause blossom blast in pears, and bacterial canker in stone fruit.

1 Like

Whatever the cause was, it appears to have pushed through it on its own, the newest leaves seem fine:

It’s possible those buds did get freeze damage after they started expanding, so that could’ve been it, too.

1 Like

I‘m interested in the Diospyros Texana too.
I found a blog where an Italian guy grafted it onto a Diospyros virginiana but failed on D. Lotus.

http://viaggiatore971.blogspot.com/2017/12/diospyros-species.html?m=1

He told me that is very slow growing and didn’t fruit yet

1 Like

FYI, the tree shown above was mislabeled and was not really texana, as discussed in this other thread:

I do have a bunch of seeds starting this winter in the greenhouse, and more that are stored for trying in the spring if the first batch of seedlings succumb to cold or dampness.