Is there a way to close a post?

I’m wondering if there is a way to close a post?

After a certain, number of comments, or a topic has devolved from gardening techniques and information, into some sort of debate, I feel like it’s time to move on.

I have no problem just ignoring comments if it’s not my post. But I feel responsible if I started a discussion. And the comment notifications continue.

Can that be done?

It is a public forum. As it grows, moderators will have their hands full just dealing with seriously defamatory posting. For things like off-topic posts, I’d just try to feel less responsible for the thread you start. I do feel your pain…Just read the Biochar thread I started. I ask for personal experiences and ended up with some totally unrelated discussion of software development and database programming. I almost started another thread but since I got so little experiential response, I just let it die.

Im a slow learner but eventually I catch on. Sometimes.
I’m done posting new topics. I just want to figure out how to close out prior ones so I can move on.

That is typically a moderator function, not an end user function.

My apologies to my part in these discussions. I need to re-look at when I post, and I will.
One way which would work well would be to limit posts to say 100. If further discussion is needed, one could start a new thread. Gardenweb used to be limited to 120 posts.

Bear, your topics are informative, well thought out, well researched, and well worded. They are frequently thought provoking. I hope you never stop creating topics!

Locking topics is an admin function here. If you feel a strong need to close out one of your own, send Scott a PM. Alan, Fruitnut, and Olpea probably have the capability when he is unavailable.

The Preference Settings give an indication that it might be possible to “Mute” topics or selected members’ comments, but the only activation category I’ve found on here is to mute entire categories.

If you go to the upper right hand corner of the page to the left of your icon. and click that categories icon, there is a category of Keyboard Shortcuts. One of the shortcuts is mm for Mute Topic. I haven’t played with it. So, I don’t know if that would work to enable you to get it “out of sight, out of mind”.

In the meantime, if you just want to stop receiving emails on those threads, you should be able to go to Preferences under your profile and reset your Notifications so that you only receive emails when you are sent a PM.

@Drew51 I noticed when you first stated that you were reconsidering your stance on the subject that you felt strongly about. You went up several notches on my mental Respect Meter when you showed that you were able to consider the research and facts and reform your opinions based on logic.

Personally, I would not like to see threads capped at 100 or so posts. I enjoy the Intro and What’s Growing in Your Garden - Got Pics? threads too much.

@forestandfarm I was learning a bit about BioChar, which was something new to me, and then your thread devolved into something that belonged more in a Lounge type category. I was mentally thread splitting that one, even after your attempted to get it back on track.

Don’t do that. Everything here gets “composted” and becomes part of the soul of this forum.

Even though most don’t comment when a topic devolves, I am sure that when it happens, many here shake their heads and make a conscious or unconscious decision not to do the same in the future on another topic.

To a certain extent, the mega mind that makes up this forum is self-regulating in that way. So, every question is important even if the topic gets hijacked.

The admins should only shut a topic down when it goes egregiously off the rails.

Mike

I don’t think its unreasonable at all to close topics that have run their course.

One thing I learned on the old GW was certain threads I would “mute” in my head, basically I would permanently stop looking at them. Here you can use that “mute” setting at the bottom to do a little better than that. Its something that I find I have to do myself as its going nowhere I care about and is not worth my time.

Thanks, Scott. I hadn’t discovered that option under Tracking at the bottom of threads. I must have looked everywhere except for the right place.

Muddy,

I’ll probably give the biochar topic a rest for a little and then start a new thread. Hopefully we can learn together …

Daniel, I have enjoyed the topics you have posted and been inspired by your words and photos.

Your profile shows over 10,000 views on your 17 topics and 60 likes.

You are a very important and LOVED member of this forum…
Do not let the background noise of public forums stop you posting new and important topics.
I look forward to reading everything you write.

2 Likes

To all who responded to this post, thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them.

Frankly, I’m not even sure I belong on an internet forum. When I read comments on news articles etc, Im sure it gets my blood pressure up.

I never expect others to have the same point of view as I do, or the same experiences, or values, or opinions, or to agree with me, or for me to agree with them. We come from diverse backgrounds and places. But when someone becomes uncivil and obnoxious, it really tarnishes the shine. When someone is acting like others unknowingly peed in their cornflakes, it’s time to let go.

Thanks for the info on muting. That will be used!

Drew, dont worry - from what I have seen, you are a great guy!

i really do appreciate the comments here.

Thanks! You too brother! I am one who can get off track though. I’m going to try and discipline myself. I have the whip nearby. Oh, and I’m also going to try and stay on topic too :sweat: (let’s face it, that’s not going to happen, but hopefully it’s still interesting, and related, such as the pineberry pics on why you grow)

2 Likes