It's Finally Raining in California!

Even the beaches are going to be cold.

1 Like

My 27f overnight does not feel quite so bad anymore. That’s crazy cold for SoCal

@itheweatherman is not on the beach where the rest of SoCal is :smile: Pretty normal for the high desert to get this cold

3 Likes

We went down to the low 20s here in San Jose. My Red Rover Passion Fruit looks rough :frowning:

I knew it wasn’t the beaches, but damn! Had no idea their high desert’s got so cold.

I think the record low in the High Desert is -1F.

1 Like

According to a local WU station, our lows yesterday and today only went down to 31 F. It’s pretty tolerable, last winter it went down to 27 F. I only had to protect bougainvilleas and one young mandarin.

1 Like

Meanwhile at Big Bear Lake (southern California)

1 Like

Looking at weather forecasts up and down the state, it appears that most metropolitan areas in California will receive 1.5" or more of rain between Tuesday night and Friday night. This will be a plus to orchardists in the area. If in addition there is snow pack added to the mountains (latitudes 32° to 42°) then that’d be great for next summer’s irrigation.

2 Likes

1 1/3 inches so far. Expecting a repeat by this time tomorrow evening. The basins around my fruit trees are full! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is a first. We’ve had no rain since the storm of 2 weeks ago, while you guys down south are getting hammered lol

1 Like

The forecast says the rain will start here by 4-5 AM and will continue until late afternoon.

1 Like

Wow!

2 Likes

We got .8" up here today. And we’ll happily take it!

1 Like

Look at that snowpack! :smiley:

2 Likes

Indeed. The whole Seirras seem to be getting lots of snow this time. And the snow levels are falling.
Here’s another anomaly - the Southern Sierra has a higher snow water equivalent then the central, and northern. Strange stuff! (In a good way).

1 Like

So far, so good. :slight_smile:
The “good” news is we’re 40% off of normal (i.e. 60%) instead of 40% of normal as we’ve seen in recent years. :smiley:

1 Like

It’s raining hard right now.

1 Like

This December was the wettest within the last six years.