It's Finally Raining in California!

Is this WHOOPIE!!! or OH! NO!.. OH! NO! ?

Mike

Michael, this is a HUGE WHOPPIE!!! Snow pack in the Sierra Nevadas translates to water for us here in S. California this summer. Our snow packs have been at record lows, terrifyingly low. That, combined with low Colorado snow packs equals very bad news for S. California, as we derive some of our water from N. California (Feather River) water sources, and the rest from the Colorado River. The current snow pack in Colorado is also now at or above normal:

Oh, and yet MORE rain this week x 2. Tomorrow and again, this weekend, and again, Monday and Tuesday, and finally possibly the next weekend. Unbelievable for us. And we are supposedly in a La Nina. Hmmm…

1 Like

I’ll start celebrating when the Sierra snowpack at 9,000 ft. and higher is uniformly 30 ft. and higher. There’s a historical reason why high-altitude lodges in the Sierras have 3rd story entrances.

@hoosierquilt
@Richard

So, how does this work? How much is going to be captured and saved?

When this stuff melts will it go into reservoirs or will it run out to sea?

How much does the land itself capture and save to the aquifer?

Mike

[quote=“MES111, post:284, topic:3613”]
So, how does this work?[/quote]

Great question! And we can answer with full scale geobiological models that vary in scale from 1 cubic meter (in areas of dense measurement) to 1 cubic kilometer (in over half the state) to depths of a few miles.

Saving all the winter rain/snow is actually a poor idea when it comes to the health of the coastline and Pacific Ocean. A huge portion of it will be captured by reservoirs and aquifer well pumps for agricultural and residential use. In fact, the State has an enormous infrastructure in place to transport water in pipes and canals – which in the past decade has been running at 1/4 capacity due to lack of water to transport.

1 Like

Looks like California will account for 20% of all water dumped on the Lower 48 over the next 72 hours. Almost 2 trillion gallons according to WeatherBELL. Hoping you guys share some pictures.

2 Likes

And Washington is not in the top 10.Yay! Brady

My locale was on the fringe of the weather system, receiving about 1/3 inch total. There is currently an 80% chance for us to receive another 1/8 inch on Monday.

I’m closer (but not in) the crosshairs. Looks like about 2.5" for us by the end of the weekend. No complaints. The good news is, with so much rain in the forecast, we are showing very mild overnight temps for us for the foreseeable future, after tonights dip to 30f.

1 Like

It looks like next week we’ll receive another 3/4" to 1" locally which with the cooler temperatures should stave off irrigation until at least January 23rd. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah they’ve dialed back the AR a wee bit for us here in the rain shadow, but check these rain total projections. Impressive!

2 Likes

We had a short-lived lightning show tonight in the High Desert.

3 Likes

Can you find the face?

Looks like an upside down racoon to me.

3 Likes

Sheets of rain here in San Jose, CA. Still a fraction of a normal Bombay monsoon I experienced in my earlier life :smile:

4 Likes

We are getting off relatively easy here in Livermore (as usual) as well. Knock on wood I know we are not finished with this yet.

Meanwhile down here in the southernmost county in the state it’s nearly 80°F at my place with just a few wispy clouds in the sky.

Yikes, thats crazy. I read you guys may see some of this rain tomorrow.

It’s supposed to start around 4am locally and continue through the day for about 1/3 inch total. Meanwhile, I see the Sierras are getting their due. The recesses in Mono Creek Valley between Lake Edison and Rock Creek should be absolutely gorgeous in July.

2 Likes

Truly impressive rainfall totals coming out of the North bay area. The Santa Cruz mountains are taking the brunt off the storms strength for the East bay area where I’am.

The Sierra’s and Yosemite NP are taking a beating. And on a positive note, the snow levels will drop significantly tomorrow.

2 Likes