It's Finally Raining in California!

Really? N California? Sure looks like some ridging into the desert SW as we get into FEB… Nice time to head to Phoenix me thinks.

And God willing all the rain will stop in late Feb before my apricots bloom — and magically start again after every blossom petal has fallen off my apples. Or should I be a realist? Only crop I’m guaranteed on this year is my loquat – The fruit set in late Dec. I lost the entire loquat crop in 2015, when we got the freak snow on Dec 31st of 2014 – blossoms froze and aborted. Anyone else in So Cal worried about blossoms + rain?

Does the above normal heat south west of Mexico have anything to do with el nino? Elwin Taylor, State of Ia climatologist, was forcasting a better than 50% chance of a strong el nino returning by mid summer.

The Scripps Institute of Oceanography website has a section devoted to El Nino / La Nina.

Hailed for 20 minutes today, hard, in San Diego. Never seen anything like it. I’ve only seen hail for a minute two and only once every 7 or 8 years or so. Ground was covered with pea sized hail. Came home to hundreds of blueberry flower petals on the ground :fearful: Will that affect how much fruit I’ll get from them?

About a few days ago, the GFS was showing another wet pattern after the 5th of February, but not anymore?

yeah…18z has liquid into N California…my older brother is going to San DIego next week (driving 25+ hrs) and i promised him nice weather… S Cali looks dry right now but that can change. Maybe some clouds to the south…who knows. I’ll be watching.
http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=ksan

Impressive rain/snow totals in S Cali
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?wfo=sgx&sid=SGX&pil=RRM

Depends on whether the bees were working them yet. Hail shouldn’t affect the very tiny fruitlets.

1 Like

Big Bear airport dropped to 1F this morning (6750ft)…

http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KL35.html

Cold morning for skiing?

Meanwhile in NY we are barely reaching freezing most nights.

Its been above freezing here in La Crosse since Jan 16th…high/low… Tonite will end that streak.

Does look wet especially LA and north… San Fran showing 1/2 inch or better of liquid. Sure a lot more in the mtns to the east.

From my area in the northern portion of San Diego County, I can see both the San Jacinto and San Bernardino mountain ranges. They are completely dusted with snow, and the upper elevations are totally buried with no patches of trees, etc. visible. :mountain_snow: :slight_smile:

1 Like

And we may have more rain in the forecast for next week, perhaps around Friday. San Diego county has been declared officially out of drought by the SD Water Authority:

5 Likes

RESERVOIR HOLDINGS:

SNOWPACK:

3 Likes

What a crazy turn around. Can finally run our irrigation without guilt again!

2 Likes

Next 10 days should bring more… maybe not so far south

Every drought I remember in CA required less rain to quench than experts predicted. Of course, that was only 2 severe droughts, I guess, because I only lived their for about 12 years.

Clear day in S California. The contrast of snow/green/desert/ocean is so cool.

4 Likes

Here’s your image (thanks!), my location in green dot, and the snowpack I can see from my neighborhood (red ovals).

Wow…nice location. I cropped the pic, but the snow made it down even further south into N Mexico…just the highest elevations.

Around here we don’t see sunshine anymore. I think its been about 10 days.

2 Likes