It's Finally Raining in California!

Down here in Vista our rain total was about 1.25" for yesterday and this morning. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here in the Santa Cruz area we’re long past celebrating all the rain. Enough! ENOUGH ALREADY! Every time it rains now we get more landslides and more flooding. The reservoirs can’t hold any more. Many of us have recorded 60-70" since October. Those of us who were praying for a wet winter are now openly fantasizing about a dry winter next year.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s the people asking amiss. Brady

This storm will impact on February 20th. It looks very strong at this moment.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the rain late next week…

1 Like
6 Likes

California retains drought measures, despite wet weather

Regulators decided to retain the measures at least until spring as a precaution against the possible return of dry weather.

1 Like

Yeah, I think they made a mistake. People need clarity on what is an emergency and what isn’t. You can’t cry emergency 100% of that time and expect to get a reaction from it. While we are a long way from ‘nothing to worry about’, we are also a long way from where we were a year ago.

If some of the predictions for end of next week are correct, all anyone will be talking about is too much water.

1 Like

The spillway off the Oroville dam couldn’t have peeled off at a worse time. It’s an earthen dam and the tallest one in the country too!

Yikes, doesn’t look good at all :open_mouth:

Don Pedro Dam

Just fill it with crushed gravel… Must be water getting under that thing and eating away the base of that shoot…

We have 2 spillways near my house ===they seem a lot more robust then this thing–although they hold back the Mississippi River which can have a little more force during flood season.

1 Like

Wow, You hope the people down stream can swim. Looks like a ‘shovel ready job’!!

A whole lotta shovels!

Before the previous picts?

Yes. The above pic is as of just now!

Here’s a representative pic of the dam and spillways.

Sounds like they are stuck using the damaged spillway

https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2017/02/07/engineers-assess-spillway-problem-at-oroville-dam/

Emergency spillway hasn’t been used… water levels are rising quickly.

I enjoy looking and learning about engineering fails as I played in a swing band that played in a venue that collapsed in !973 in Kansas City. The amount of water and the visible erosion would worry me if I were down stream of that dam.

Holy cow and I thought our blizzard was bad. Wow!