It's Finally Raining in California!

Here is a website about rainwater collecting in Washington State.This is the latest ruling that I can find in my limited search.
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wr/hq/rwh.html
There was a guy,a few years ago,that lived by a river.He dug a pond and diverted some water into it.The authorities determined that was illegal.
It really doesn’t help too much,in my opinion,to have the barrel type collectors in the Seattle area,because during the Summer months,there is usually very little rainfall,when the plants really need it. Brady

That’s the beauty of a cistern, but you would need a huge one where you get absolutely no rain during the growing season.

In my nursery I plant trees over sheets of thin plastic that captures significant extra water. In my light unirrigated soil it seems to have made a huge difference in annual growth of peach trees- the most water greedy species I grow (or least water competitive).

2 Likes

Actually Colorado has eased its water laws on collecting roof water. One is now permitted to do so, as long as the collected water is used on the original property.

But I think the line of thought about cisterns and water barrels being inadequate to store enough water for agricultural uses is correct. Unless you are talking about a small garden or a few trees, you can’t economically store enough water in a container. Maybe a few weeks worth, but not enough for a drought or a really dry summer and significant acreage.

A more effective solution is to store the water in the soil itself. There are various techniques for slowing runoff and allowing that water to enter the soil structure. Coupled with increasing the organic matter levels in the soil, it is possible to make your soil itself your water storage device.

These systems have been used successfully in desert environments and elsewhere. Brad Lancaster’s books on water harvesting are a good beginning on the what can be done and how. There are also quite a few youtube videos on projects which have been done.

2 Likes

All irrigation is local.
Capture is important in some areas, drainage, in others. Here, I am sometimes challenged with how to divert water away from roots (raised beds). Here, too much water results in disease. Here, even in a drought you can dig down 6" in the beds and find moist soil.
Even so, on my little acre I have 5-55gal rain barrels to supply non-chlorinated/flouridated water as needed. They help to modulate the water supply swings - flood or drought that can occur here.

2 Likes

Yes. Local evapotranspiration plays a huge role.

As you can see, we’ve had a smidgen of overnight dew here in the last week but otherwise it’s been dry, dry, dry.

looks like you guys really have had an extended summer in So Cal!
I’m sure it has it’s pros and cons

Typical :smiley:

Currently there’s a high pressure zone on the North Atlantic, the mid-latitudes of the U.S., and another advancing towards us from the north Pacific. The current canonical storm launched out of the Bay of Alaska looks like it will careen across southern Canada and the northern-most U.S. (e.g., Highway 90). Our next possible set of moisture is 11/21, when that low-pressure system in the Gulf of Mexico crosses into the Pacific and it’s tailings come northward. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rains will be returning to Southern California after the 20th of this month and a possible Arctic Blast around the first week of December.

@itheweatherman - you are in “southern california” by map measure, but geographically your weather is dependent upon both systems that transverse the central valley and cross the Tehachapis – plus weather of the Great Basin. Your prediction for weather in your area makes sense. I’ll be quite surprised (and joyous) if your prediction is realized in Orange and San Diego Counties.

2 Likes

Am I the only old guy singing “It never rains in southern California” in my head every time this thread pops up? I think all those old songs got permanently wired into my brain.

3 Likes

It finally stopped raining in Washington,at least for a few minutes. Brady

4 Likes

Maybe this one will help change your tune Scott.
Raindrops keep falling on my head,but that doesn’t mean my eyes will soon be turning red,crying’s not for me… Brady

2 Likes

Finally some rains return this weekend! (Although I’ll be in Palm Springs, effectively missing it).
But happy to see we are getting the occasional rains this year.

1 Like

It’s been misting on-and-off all afternoon, but now the real rain has begun.

3 Likes

You guys really needed that rain! Very fortunate to get it. We will pray for you to get several inches!

1 Like

Thanks Clark. The prediction here locally is for about 3/4". I’m hoping it is spread out over 12 hours so that it sinks in. All too often the rain is 0.5-1 inch total but in 15 minutes … which of course just runs off into the lagoon. Oh well, more water for the shore birds!

2 Likes

It’s been raining very nicely off and on. Hoping for more of the same, tomorrow. Finally some rain, my gosh.

Patty S.

2 Likes

Received 0.6 inch here :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Now I regret the rain. We went to Six Flags yesterday to celebrate my birthday, and most of the rides were not operating.