It's Finally Raining in California!

booooo

2 Likes

Because of .6" of rain?!?! Seriously?

1 Like

A few more showers predicted here for the weekend :slight_smile:

Yup.

@JustAnne4, the 0.6" inch of rain we had at my location is less than they had at Six Flags M.M. – it’s about 125 miles north in a different climate zone. And given the kinds of rides they have there, I’m sure there were good reasons for not operating them in wet conditions!

Golly those parks would go out of business here. :astonished:
Maybe we have dif kinds of rides here.

I remember shortly after I moved to the DC area from Philly, it snowed and there was only 1" on the ground. As I was getting ready for work I found out they shut down the city. I was shocked that our capitol was paraylzed by 1" of snow. Tough to concept.

2 Likes

I’d guess it was a matter of snow services not being funded.

The entire western coast of California is now experiencing rain. The quantity from this system will vary from about 0.5 inch at the southern end (my location) to an inch or two at the northern end (e.g., Eureka) – but also as the system moves eastward those amounts will proportionally increase at higher elevations. Note from the light-blue coloration on the map that it is currently snowing in California’s Sierra-Nevada range. It is the snow pack that is essential to the water supply of most metropolitan areas in the state.

3 Likes

I got .75" on my property, so thankful. Hoping the rain will materialize this Thursday. This is a little early for us, and I am taking every fraction of an inch we can get.

Patty S.

3 Likes

So nice to see moist soil for a while now.

3 Likes

Haven’t needed to irrigate for 10 days. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A very dry 15-20 mph wind has been blowing here from the north all day, evaporating surface moisture to a depth of 1 inch. Irrigation will be necessary in a few days.

Yup, and to boot, a cold dry wind. A cold Santa Ana, per the weather person. BOO. #lipsfallingoffagain Ugh. And, allergies are bothering me. And no real precipitation in our near future, either.

1 Like

Actually it’s a cold high-pressure system blowing down from the northwest Pacific towards the low’s in Mexico.

Well, according to Dagmar & Whitney on NBC San Diego, and per my weather station, it’s from the ESE:

This truely is tongue in cheek, but what weather situation do Californians not complain about? lol.

It’s cold, dry, dusty and windy here. Not that good for outdoor activities. I only needed to water north side in-ground plants since the last rain. Containers can miss a day or two depending on location.

It might be ESE on your nook of the hills, but everywhere else it is blowing from the North.

For me, it is varying from ESE to ENE. It is a NE wind, considered “cold Santa Ana condition”, apparently, by our local weather people. Here is our weather advisory:

Issuing Office: San Diego
    Source: National.Weather.Service
    1:02pm PST, Fri Dec 2
    ... WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM PST SATURDAY... * WINDS... NORTHEAST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS T0 50 MPH. ISOLATED GUSTS TO 60 MPH ALONG COASTAL MOUNTAIN SLOPES. * TIMING... THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON. * LOCATION... SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS AND MOUNTAINS. * IMPACTS... HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. MINOR TREE DAMAGE POSSIBLE. * OUTLOOK... LIGHTER WINDS SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT WINDS OF 35 MPH ARE EXPECTED. WINDS THIS STRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT... ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. USE EXTRA CAUTION. &&
    More Information
    ... STRONG AND POTENTIALLY DAMAGING NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON... .STRONG SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING OVER THE GREAT BASIN COMBINED WITH NORTHEAST WINDS ASSOCIATED WITH UPPER LEVEL LOW OVER ARIZONA WILL BRING STRONG AND POTENTIALLY DAMAGING NORTHEAST WINDS THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

So, that easterly direction is why it’s been categorized as a “cold Santa Ana”, and why it’s both dry and cold. I’m freezing upstairs. Had to go put on warm snuggly socks. My blood is back to thin So Cal blood. No more midwesten or midatlantic winters for me, no sir. Brrrr. Fortunately, the winds will be shifting back to a more westerly wind tomorrow. Good riddance.

Patty S.

North East winds means it is blowing FROM the northeast.

Their pants are on fire.