Izu Persimmon

Today the bareroot Izu Persimmon I reserved at Walter Andersen Nursery came in and I picked it up! Here it is freshly potted.

8 Likes

That’s a good sized tree. Congrats!

1 Like

My Matsumoto Wase persimmon should be coming from Bay Laurel soon. I just hope they don’t prune back the roots too much.

Your Izu is huge. Do you plan to prune the top back?

1 Like

From the soil level to top it’s 6’8" and the caliper a few inches above the graft is about 1.5". As such the graft is well established and the tree should remain healthy provided the roots don’t go ballistic from the transplant. It’s now potted in a 15 gallon tub with Sunshine general purpose mix. I plan to keep it there until at least mid summer when there is sign of agressive root development. At some point it’s going in the ground. I don’t plan to prune it until next Winter.

2 Likes

That’s a really nice looking tree! My next door neighbor grows that variety. When she got it a decade ago, her tree was half that size.

1 Like

Today I started working on the planting basin for this tree. In the first photo you see the stump of the Black Beauty Mulberry (M. nigra on M. alba rootstock) which is being replaced by the Izu Persimmon. The second photo is after some vigorous rototilling. :slight_smile:

1 Like

2 Likes

Unfortunately, yours won’t fit through my gate.

This one comes in handy if you want to dig 1/4 acre holes …

Nice reach as well!! :grinning:

Hi, i am looking for some Izu persimmon wood scion,
can you help?
Thanks,

1 Like

I am happy to give away plant material from my home and also donate it to the local CRFG Chapter. I cannot ship or sell plant material as that would violate terms of my CA agricultural licenses.

1 Like

I’m sad to report that my Izu did not survive the winter … it is common for this cultivar to fail in SoCal after dormancy on typical rootstock. Oh well, I’m replacing it with something else.

2 Likes