Jaboticaba in Vista CA

Tree is pick clean, has a new wave of flowers and small berries.

2 Likes

I got my 2 Jabotica trees potted.

Tony

1 Like

_They will grow pretty quick,just need very acidic fertilizer_like Holly tone, no strong chemical s,just organic stuff.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips there Bob. Hopefully, they will fruit in 3 years or so. I will uppot them next year.

1 Like

The difference between “hard chemicals” and “organic” is dosage and cost. In fact, several of the “hard chemicals” I use are dehydrated “organics”.

1 Like

All of you guys are better in fertilizing. Richard you grow most of your stuff in ground. My figs, citrus, atamoya, jabo are in containers. My hardy figs and oriental persimmon are all in ground, no fertilizer for them, maybe micro,s in August. All my tree’s seems to be very happy and me to.

2 Likes

Darn you people…

now I’ve got a red Jaboticaba on its way to me…

Any recommendations on overwintering these in pots? (indoors)

Scott

4 Likes

I am in z6b/7a i bring mine in when temps are in the low 40’s. The temps in my workshop is part of the whole house system but the shop is kept at 68*. All my citrus and subtropicals are happy and growing some. They are of the floor on dollies.

2 Likes

My climate is similar. I have 2 rooms dedicated to overwintering, one dark and cold for dormant plants and one warmer (65 degrees) and lit for non-dormant plants (citrus, bay, bamboos, etc). So this one should be in the non-dormant room, then.

Thank you

Scott

2 Likes

This is apparently both a natural and grower-bred hybrid: Plinia cauliflora x Myrciaria aureana. It is a partial understory shrub reaching several meters high (and direct sunlight) in maturity.

1 Like

Garage for figs and wife’s flowers.

Tree’s in the workshop.

9 Likes

Nice looking Citrus trees!!!

you have a much nicer set up than I do in your garage. (is it attached or separate, the garage?)

I have 2 rooms in my basement, one was a canning room and the other held a coal bin. The canning room sits closed all winter and manages a temperature of around 35-40 degrees all winter. It is dark in there. The coal room has lights and I store my non-dormant plants there. (though I am not great about keeping up with the watering as I should be. The furnace in the basement probably accelerates the drying out…

Do you make the dollies yourself or where do you get them? Also, why keep the plants off the floor?

Scott

1 Like

I don’t buy too much, it is a sport with me to buy as little as possible.

2 Likes

Attach garage, dollies are homemade from old decking boards. Floor are cold in the winter months, raise a bit, higher be better.

1 Like

Happy Jaboticaba shrub!

2 Likes

The tree to the right in the picture above blew over last winter and I’ve since replaced it.

And finally, finally I found some more of those rare round-two-ets so the Jaboticaba was pruned up today. Here’s before and after photos.

3 Likes

The Jaboticaba (Sabara, I guess) tree in Emma Prusch Park, San Jose was planted by a CRFG member 20 years or so ago. The tree produced profusely this year and they were nice to let me try some of the fruits. The ripe fruit was sweet and juicy. May be I had high expectations of this fruit, but it wasn’t better than many grapes I’ve tasted. I guess the novelty of fruits stuck to the trunk and babying the tree until your toddler goes to college make the tree more exotic rather than the flavor of the fruit :slight_smile:

Few pics of the tree and the fruits

7 Likes

Given the small size of the fruits and your assessment of the taste, it appears the plant is lacking nutrients.

1 Like

That tree is way to dense growth, expose the inside branches and get rid of all minor branches.Going into the second yield, a little better than the first one.

1 Like