Japanese beetle grub control time?

I’ve had a major Japanese beetle issue the last few years. Last fall I missed my opportunity to put down milky spore. So I want to put down a good dose of GrubEx this spring. When is the ideal time? I have a lot of mole damage just east of my orchard and I know most of it is grub related.

Cyantraniliprole the active ingredients in GrubEx is highly toxic to bees.

anyone else reading this post might be interested. To know more about Milky spore.

Milky Spores will not kill Japanese beetle’s only the larval grubs. The problem with Milky spore is its a warm weather treatment, and its sold often in the spring. Spore is a warm weather treatment. In the spring its tool cold and the spore pass harmlessly though there system. Prime time is Aug after the eggs have been laid and they hungry buggers start feasting on roots.

There might be a new alternative treatment available in Btg (Bacillus thuringiensis galleriae) I have not tried it but I know the other varieties of Bt are super effective. Those other verities of Bacillus thuringiensis are

BTi bacillus thuringiensis var israelensis kills mosquitiso, and biting flys
and Btk bacillus thuringiensis var Kurstaki kills leaf eating caterpillars

2 Likes

I highly recommend getting a few ‘Affleck’ ducks. We used to have a Japanese beetle infestation every summer. Then someone dumped 3 ducks on our property. No more beetles. It must be that they are eating the larvae. ? Whatever . . . hope they keep doing it.!
IMG_5967|690x920

2 Likes

As mentioned I’m all for putting down milky spore. I just did not get around to it in the late summer like I had hoped. So my thoughts now turn to killing the grubs before they emerge as adult beetles. Are you aware of any other spring treatments to kill grubs that may be less harmful? I’m not tied to GrubEx but it’s the only one I’m somewhat familiar with.

http://greenearthagandturf.com/biological-insect-beetle-control-phyllom-beetle-gone-bt.shtml

2 Likes

I read somewhere that mixing soap, neem oil and water and drenching the soil takes care of grubs. I haven’t done it so I don’t know how effective it is. I’m going to try it this spring.

As great as this stuff sounds I can’t seem to find a single vendor that has this in stock.