Japanese Beetles 2017

I came back from a conference to some significant JB damage to my WhiteGold sweet cherry and quite a bit of damage to my plums, though they can take it as they have little fruit and are growing like weeds.

I spot treated the JB’s with Sevin spray tonight. Take that! If the wind dies I will put down a coating of Surround.

1 Like

I sprayed all my trees with Sevin mixed with Bonide fruit tree spray and they all either dead or left because of the bad smell in the Bonide solution. I will spray again if they come back.

Tony

4 Likes

BT Bacillus thuringiensis is a group of bacteria used as biological control agents

Bti Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis strain EG2215 (Mosquito Control)
Btk Bacillus thuringiensis serotype kurstaki (catapiller

1 Like

I can feel the JBs creeping our way…another couple of weeks and they will be crawling out of the ground.

1 Like

I’ve been seeing a bit of damage, but just noticed them tonight. Forecast to have rain every day for the next two weeks, this is when they hit last year and completely destroyed my grape crop. They actually seem to hit at the same time as these large black beetles which also eat the leaves:

It’s funny, some of my students were shocked to find out they’re known as Japanese beetles in English. I think they felt bad, as they didn’t want to make a bad impression.
They’re actually called “Kogane-mushi” here (‘Gold-bug’).

4 Likes

I think I see a ladybug nymph at work there

1 Like

Japanese beetles are showing up here too. Squished 4 beetles today. I know tomorrow will be more. Not looking forward to seeing more and more every day.

2 Likes

It looks like this year is a return to a larger JB population for me. I didn’t have many last year or the year before, but they are out in force this year.

I sprayed everything with Surround today. Hopefully it drives them out.

3 Likes

My young son caught 19 of them this afternoon. We gave them a long bath in a cup of water and dishwashing detergent. Now he just needs to catch a few thousand more.

3 Likes

I put milky spores September 2016…I used the powder…next time I’ll buy the granular…powder was a bit tedious to use…thank you fur the good news

2 Likes

What is the predators of the Gold/japanese bettle?

1 Like

Children. We used to catch them, tie a string around them, then run around with a cloud of them buzzing at the end of their leashes. The bigger June bugs were easier to harness, though.
Seriously, I don’t have anything helpful to add.

1 Like

Keep em all down by you :wink: Haven’t seen any yet.

2 Likes

Last year’s infestation was pretty lite - I hope they failed to reproduce

1 Like

Haven’t seen them yet either. I noticed there were less Junebugs this year. I hope the cold temps along with long stretches with no snow cover put a dent in both population’s here. . .

Anne put down more milky spore this year. I put it down three years in a row, starting 15 years ago, not a JB in12 years!

4 Likes

Great results

3 Likes

Found 2 Japanese beetles doing their thing on my plum tree. Squished. Didn’t see any others.

5 Likes

I have yet to find a single beetle this year. Its the first year in many where I didn’t find any at all. The milky spore had to be a big factor here.

Its really nice when there is one less pest to worry about. I also am not having any problems with the green plum aphids, they are usually a big battle in June. I was more diligent for the early aphid blooms and nailed them before they got momentum up. A squish in time saves you from 9,999 plum aphids :grinning:

7 Likes

I saw my first Japanese Beetle here in eastern PA today. I’m hoping they don’t get too bad until I get all the cherries in. Then the carbaryl comes out. :smiling_imp:

1 Like