Jujube and Persimmon recommendations: South Central KS

I’m not sure that I remember if tigertooth needs cross pollination in my initial research of the thing. I suppose if I find another jujube to plant I might look at bloom dates just to hedge bets in my favor.

For your guys’s information; my one tigertooth fruit had a big grove eaten through it yesterday and felt soft. I pulled it and took a taste as I figured it would be the last time I saw one for a yr or two. Absolutely zero taste!

1 Like

Your Tigertooth sounds like mine. Sorry!

I’m not sure if anybody knows which jujubees here need pollination. Apparently it’s well know in China, Prof Yao publishes lists. She suspects Sugarcane might need a pollinator. In any event, fruit set supposedly is better with cross pollination.

re suckering, , I’ve planted maybe 30 trees over 10 years. I’ve only noticed it twice, other than the suckers at the base of the tree. Once was when I took out my Tigertooth and Lang a year ago, there are a lot of suckers now. And my last house was on 2 acres, one sprinkled and 1 acre not. I planted a Contorted So in the un sprinklered area, 10 ft from the sprinklered area; after 5-6 years I had a loot of suckering in the watered area, 15-20 ft from the tree. Jujubee roots will always find nearby water.

FWIW, England nursery in KY, who is also a good supplier for jujubees, says they have lots of suckering. Of course they have lots of trees too.

2 Likes

I will send a PM

I honestly only have tried Li & Lang so far. I actually prefer the taste of seedling Jujube. I grafted about 10 new varieties this year. My friends tell me that every variety they have planted is hardy here.

2 Likes

It sounds like in a year or 2 you’ll have a lot of data! They all grow well in Dallas, but there’s a lot of difference in taste and yield, and some varieties seem to do well in some areas of the country but not others

Nice Apple and pear collection you have there!

Thanks,

Bob

1 Like

My Li 3 yrs in the ground and produced last year. I planted a Honey jar 3 ft tall this spring and already has 15 fruit. The Sugarcane and So planted sametime ha 1 to 4 fruit each. Good luck

2 Likes

you are not alone in that department, i even have folks asking me for suckers of sour rootstock!

4 Likes

So help me with the taste here guys. I’ve never eaten a jujube before so I’m kind of lost on what to expect. Can someone describe what they are like? Maybe compare them to eating an apple, or pear, or date? Sweet, sour, honey, etc. I’m interested in something hardy and unique but would like to enjoy them also.

On another note: has anyone seen them spread by seed to other parts of your place? I’m continually fighting Johnson Grass, Sericea, and Honey Locus. I really don’t want to add another invasive to have to fight on the land.

And finally; do deer and other critters like them? It would be great to attract deer to these trees for the fruit. Will deer browse them? I currently have 3 Che planted and the deer keep shoving the cages over to browse the leafs. They target them more than they do my apple and pear trees.

Honey Jar tasted great to me. I liked them better than any apples in my orchard which I multi grafted at least 15 plus varieties. HJ are real sweet, crunchy, more juice than any other jujubes, very productive with age and very thorny so the deer will try not eat the leaves but they loved to eat the dropped jujube fruits but you must put a cage around the young tree to protect it from rabbit. Jujube suckers from the root stock are easy to mow and contain due to the shallow spread. I potted the root suckers and grafted a brand varieties the following year and give them to my relatives or planted them in my orchard. Jujubes are very low maintenance trees. Good luck

Tony

3 Likes

Thanks for the critic of taste tony from omaha. Great pics, how long does it take for a jujube to start producing copious amounts like pictured?

I like jujubes a lot, both fresh and dried. However, I know many people who do not like them when I had them tried my Honey Jar. To People who like them, jujubes are sweet, crunchy and addictive. Those who don’t like them said they tasted weird (to them), too small and felt apples taste better (and had more substantial flesh per fruit.)

It’s best if you have Chinese or Korean grocery stores nearby where you can buy and try them. Indian grocery stores sell a different kind of jujubes. Those are not as sweet as the Chinese ones.

All in all, jujubes are acquired taste. You may love it, like it enough, or wonder why you waste your space for them.

1 Like

It is best to have two different varieties for cross pollination like Honey Jar is a must then another variety like Sugarcane, Sihong, Li, Shanxi Li, Autumn Beauty, Chico, So, Massandra, Coco… I bark grafted 4 Honey Jar jujubes about 5 years ago and relocated them to full sun about 3 years ago. They loved full sun. They not productive in shaded areas.

Tony

How many hours of sun are we talking? Where I plant to plant these they will have direct sunlight from sunup until about 2hrs before dark. There are mature trees about 40yds to the west, open everywhere else…

Will the sour or rootstock need cross pollination? Or can I just plant them and let them go?

I should try to find a store. I live in the middle of nowhere but Wichita is fairly close (little over an hour). Maybe someone there sells them.

1 Like

The more sun the better. Sun up and sun down is good. Sour jujube rootstocks will produce fruits on their own and also a goid cross pollination for the brand name jujubes stated above.

Tony

When green they taste somewhat like an apple but better. When dry they have the consistency of a marshmallow but flavor of a date. They are extremely tasty. If you can’t find them try ebay or amazon https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=jujube+fruit&_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xjujube+fruit.TRS0&_nkw=jujube+dried+fruit

1 Like

ZaThis is what dried jujubes look like.

I got them from a friend whose brother brought them from CA. The dried jujube texture is spongy, chewy. Some are sweet like this one, some arenot at all. Dried sweet jujubes can be eaten like fresh ones. Dreied, not-tasty ones are used in cooking esp. in dishes that contain liquid so they can soak up liquid and become tasty.

I have nothing against jujubes. I love them. However, I don’t want you to set a high expectation and become disappointed. Like pawpaw, it is acquired taste. I know people who rave about pawpaw and people who cannot stand its taste or texture or botn.

2 Likes

I’ve got to admit that spongy does not sound great. With that said, a lot of my plantings are for deer so if I don’t like them but the deer do then it’s still a win for me. I don’t particularly like apples/crabs a lot but will eat one or two a day while working outside if they are available. I certainly won’t gather a bounty and turn it into gallons of apple sauce or cider, instead enjoy watching the deer gather their fill.

2 Likes

Or you can give them to us, Clark, Tony and me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:slight_smile: I trade acorns a lot with people all over the country. I’m not against shipping stuff once in a while.

1 Like