Jujube fruit set if you don't have hot dry summers

My thorns are 1 to 1.25 inches, it sounds like jujubees grow bigger in Vegas! Autumn Beauty is a great jujube but it took about 7 years for the first crop. I’m happy to send wood anytime, is Jan the best time in Vegas, or doesn’t it matter? I’m glad I tried these 2 when OGW offered them. Btw Just Fruits and Exotics will offer both again next fall I believe.

if i remember it right, that was the same case with many trees @scottfsmith has

a phenomenon have not observed in two of the >15 yr old jujus have access to in our locale, which have been fruitful like clockwork. One of which have been visiting every summer for almost a decade now(at unlv campus).

intend to send chico and hj’s to my sisters in nj and virginia next spring, and will request they grow them in black plastic pots, and under full sun with limited watering during growing season…

that is about the length of jin’s, chico’s, norris’ and sometimes li’s, when grown here. Makes me now think drought conditions stimulate thorn growth, as trees can’t risk being browsed on, hence responding in a hostile way towards herbivores…Different, yet similar in function, to the evolution of cacti thorns(which are actually cacti’s leaves).

Yes, that sounds very similar.

I hope we can get to the bottom of this, I want jujubes!!

Thanks for the WD scions last spring! Wondering if you have your jujube taste comparison chart updated? I liked your chart very much with WD scored 5 5 5 last time I saw it. Did WD still score 555 last year for you?
Thanks— Lauren in Missouri.

Hi Lauren, good to hear from you. Did the wood take? Yes WD was terrific last year. I just moved a couple weeks ago and not sure where that chart is, but google " jujube results in Dallas 2015 bhawkins" and the comparison chart pops right up, I posted it here 10/15 or so.

awesome! Can’t believe that I missed that post. Thanks.

My WD scion didn’t take last year, but I gave 3 scions to my grafting expert friend, he got one taken. This spring he gave me 3 scions back. So far I can’t tell if it’s taking or not. Other varieties, like sugar cane and honey jar which I grafted at the same time, already leaf out. Give it a little more time.

btw, sounds like WD has not problem setting fruits for you. I read that WD is not easy to set fruit.

here is the video 枣树辩证管果栽培技术_视频在线观看 - 56.com (in Chinese though), by twisting the branch to increase the fruit setting.

thanks,
Lauren

definitely a milder way of girdling. Selective pruning in late winter and early spring helps induce production over vegetative growth, especially in areas with short growing seasons.

Is it better to prune a jujube? I have plenty of space in the area they are planted and I had just planned to letting them do their thing. Selective pruning, what are you selecting for?

if your trees are productive even without pruning(say, if you’re in the warm southwest like ourselves), there really is no need to do anything. But if you are in a colder region where your trees might need extra heat and extra daylight hours, pruning during winter for max sunlight exposure(for next spring), as well as getting rid of most( or all), of upright perennialgrowth buds during spring will favor production over vegetative growth.

My WD, Shihong, and Tigertooth are my most reliable producers. Interesting video, I’ll watch again for more details. It looks like they prune mercilessly, and it’s kind of like the Cornell high density plantings but for jujubees

your WD grafts here are getting to be promising, if only the relentless mojave gusts would stop thrashing and stressing out the branches just when they are blooming! Here’s a pic of some WD fruits yellowing out. Fortunately there are at least 10 fruitlets that are still bright green and actively growing.

1 Like

Looks great! Fwiw my first crop of WD tasted like cardboard, second crop was great. It’s the only jujube I’ve noticed that in, at least such a dramatic change.

with ours it was sihong and li which were mediocre on their first year, but second and third year were radically improved. The bigger-fruited ones seem to have that ‘issue’, especially when trying to fruit at a foot tall and when fruiting on stems with a caliper of a barbecue stick.

saw this delightful ‘reality’ tv documentary about jujus being grown in the far east. Once translated in english, will be worthy of a pbs broadcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vuz23RFUSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vuz23RFUSE8 <This film was from Taiwan, I would like to translate for you.

I am from Taiwan and would like to translate for you,

Chien,

That would be great.

Tony

Yes! Please!

awesome right? it is a 1080p HD videocam-meets-grassroots fruit farming at its finest. Have been watching it over and over, as the ‘cultural immersion’ has such a profound relaxing effect, not sure why… The setting is just beautiful, and the down-to-earth characters, with their gentle mien are 100% unscripted and unpretentious. Even the dogs and chickens were endearing! Not to mention the topnotch cinematography and background music

here’s another one about longans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3LjtPOKT1k

2 Likes