Jujube fruit set if you don't have hot dry summers

Thats a hard question, I have had trees fruit when young but then grow out of it.

This year is looking like it might be better than the last few for me, I am starting to see some fruit set on several varieties.

Thanks, Scott. I planted mine late April. They sat there doing nothing for a few weeks. Then they have leafed out. I am sprprised they are all flowering two months after planting.

Jujubes took the first place re. the most precocious among all my fruit trees. Nothing comes close.

Iā€™ve got a bunch of new trees and Iā€™m interested to see how the initial planting size impacts this. I was looking at one of my trees a bit over an hour ago and noticed some apparent fruit set on one of my new Shanxi Li from ToA. There is still plenty of time for it to fall off, but for now, they look to be about the same size as the fruit on my established So (and various grafts on it).

Sitting down to post this made me wonder if there were any on the other trees, so I just went out with a flashlight. I checked 7 others and while all of them had flowers, none had any fruit set, even the other Shanxi Li from the same vendor (which I think is in a better location).

My jujubes arenā€™t as far along as yours, but Iā€™m seeing a lot more than in the past as well. Some may fall off, but Iā€™m pretty encouraged.

1 Like

Bob,
Regarding your new Shanxi, when did you planted yours. T think I planted mine 2-3 weeks after you.

Roger Meyer told me his jujubees fruited year 1. Iā€™ve never gotten any until year 2, and usually itā€™s a meager crop. My liā€™s have gotten better yield and taste wise every year, they needed 5 years to become heavy produces

This is a hard fruit to figure out, the results vary between regions, they even vary in different parts of my yard

1 Like

The order from Trees of Antiquity arrived on 3/21 and I planted the 5 jujubes and 2 plums on 3/22.

4 of the jujubes with no fruit-set are in an almost completely full sun location near the driveway (maybe missing a bit of sun at dawn). The one with the tiny fruit is on the other side of the house is a spot which I think is missing a bit of afternoon sun (still lots of light, but not quite complete).

My honey jar is absolutely covered in blooms, but I havenā€™t noticed any actual fruit forming.

My So, the one which has traditionally fruited well hasnā€™t bloomed yet :flushed:. I fear Iā€™ve been watering it too frequently.

I havenā€™t really looked at any of my others lately. Iā€™ll check them tomorrow

Scott

Bob,
Mine planted 5 week after yours. April 29. My trees arrived in mid April. I did not get around to planted them until the end of April.

Mamuang,

My Lang is 5 yrs old, Li is 4 yrs old, Sugarcane and Honey Jar are 3 yrs old. They all got some flowers the first year but no fruit. They produced some fruits the second yearā€¦

Tony

Two weeks is a long time to wait. I feel bad not doing it the same day they arrive :slight_smile: But, jujube seem pretty tough and it looks like yours are growing fine.

Yes, the seem to get the flowers very easily, just not set the fruit. My 5th year So didnā€™t fruit until year #3 and even then I think it was just a couple fruits. But, I did have a graft of Honey jar with 6 fruits a few months after grafting it (and looks good this year too), so they can be very quick.

You guys are making me jealous! While this was an unusual year with constant rain in May, once again I have not fruit on my field trees but even some of the sprouts I dug up and put in RB2s are fruiting! I get flowers on the fielded trees every year but no fruit. I keep saying ā€œMaybe next yearā€ā€¦

1 Like

Bob,
I had to order soil to mound the area and wait for raised boxes to be put together. They have grown fine. Iā€™ll see if any Shanxi flowers would turn into fruitā€¦

Jack,

I think is time for you to graft other jujube varieties to your large existing trees for cross pollination. If you can grafts some wild Jujubes even better.

Tony

Jack,
How far apart are your field planted trees? Your potted trees being closer to one another may help in pollination.

I did that a couple years ago. I grafted one to Redlands #4 when it was about an inch in diameter. I grafted another to Silverhill. There is some question if Silverhill is a unique from Tigertooth but at least one reliable source tells me it is. Last fall I planted some root cutting trees that I grafted in the previous winter. They are growing well. One was Redlands #4 and the other was Admiral Wilkes.

Cross pollination was one of the first things I considered as an issue. Tigertooth is supposed to be self fruitful. I confirmed that because the trees in the rootmakers that fruit have no other jujube except tigertooth in proximity.

My trees in the field flower like crazy and have ants all over them each year. They are planted about 15ā€™ apart. With all the insects that visit the flowers Iā€™m guessing pollination is not the issue. Last year I thought I was seeing the very beginning of some fruit but when I went back and checked a few weeks later, it was all gone. This year I saw no indication of the trees trying to fruit, but it was a very unusual spring and many of my other trees are not fruiting this year like my native persimmons. We basically had rain so frequently in May that things didnā€™t dry out for a month. Maybe that is the issue with the Jujube this year. Iā€™m a bit frustrated as they are growing well vegetatively.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,

Yeah, Jujube likes hot and dry weather. Omaha got hot real early this year and that may contribute to my heavy fruits set. I am planning to do an experiment by adding the planting holes with 75 percent play sands for better drainage to keep the soil dry to see if I can get better fruits set. I got 8 Jujube root spouts to graft next Spring plus the 4 baby Tigertooths for this experiment

Tony

Maybe it would be a good experiment to add a few single branch grafts for pollination. 15ā€™ isnā€™t much to a human or a bee, but it is a long walk for an antā€¦

My So has well over a dozen varieties and looks to have a good set, even on the North side (so far). But, it was also pretty dry during the month of June (only about 0.5"). According to the Weather Channel, we get about 4-5" per month over the year. But March through July this year have been 1.5", 2.5", 4", 0.5", and 0.9" (half a month). So that is only one month approaching normal. When I go out to water the tomatoes, Iā€™ve watered the jujube as well, especially the suckers (size them up for transplant). Maybe I shouldnā€™t be doing that if it impacts fruit-set. But it could be the lack of sun (which accompanies the rain) that impacts fruiting, not the presence of water. Itā€™s definitely something that Iā€™ll test more in future years.

Are your trees in full sun, or are there other large trees around?

They are all in full sun. I do native bee/wasp pollinators visiting the flowers. I never see honey bees or other large bees on them. I have one of the native rootstock that put up a new shoot form the root system in an RB2. Perhaps Iā€™ll let that grow out and then use a scion from it to one of the mature trees.

If I was getting some fruit but poor yield or if the trees in my containers were not fruiting, I may believe pollination was the issue. Iā€™m thinking my climate may just not be the best. We usually have plenty of spring and fall rain. Our summers are hot but humid.

Raf, Bob V, Jack, Bob B. Scott, and all,

I dedicated this Honey Jar Jujube tree to Roger Meyer. I bought 10 rootstocks from him 3 years ago and grafted a bunch of different Jujube varieties on them but this HJ outshine them all. It is 5 feet tall and in a bushy form with lots of fruits already. HJ is a must have if you want to grow Jujube.

Tony

6 Likes

glad it is doing very well in your area. Mr Meyer has left plenty long-lasting remembrances, no doubt! Apart from contorted, HJ is what i usually give to friends and family whenever i introduce them to jujube-growing.
It is a ā€˜starter plantā€™ which often performs well even as a tiny specimen.

1 Like