Jujube fruit set if you don't have hot dry summers

I don’t think I’ve actually seen a nectarine with sugar spots/dots on the surface at a chain grocery store. Hence I don’t buy nectarine’s at the store. This fruit/veggie wholesaler considers the spots a defect. Ha! http://www.rossandco.com.au/specs/Nectarine.pdf – another confirmation that fruit marketing is all about appearance.

I’ve seen some with minor sugar speckling. Some of those have been pretty good from the store. Your link does call it a minor defect not as bad as worms, LOL.

here is my favorite version of an aged and crunchy banana :grin:

1 Like

hello, Bob:

do you have the updated jujube taste comparison chart for 2016? I am looking forward to see that.

I shared your previous charts with my small group friends who also grow jujubes, and they are all very interested.

This year, I hope I can get WD graft to take. 2 years ago you gave me the scions, but my grafts were all failed, but one scion I gave to my friend took(2015). He got 3 WD fruits on 2016 and I asked him to give me some WD scions 2017(Last years WD scions he gave me were too thin, so I failed again).

thanks and have a good day,
Lauren

1 Like

Hi Lauren, if you’d like more wood I have plenty. I didn’t update my chart this year, I moved homes & I was afraid my data might not be consistent. I’ll see if I can update it this weekend

Changes from last year; I finally got a modest crop of Sherwoods, they’re good size & taste great; but it took 7-8 years to bear. Also my Li’s were great this year; 3rd year in a row; maybe conditions were just right, or maybe the fruit gets better as the tree ages. I still like Winter Delight & Shihong best overall.

4 Likes

totally agree re sihong, li, and sherwood. And quite confident will have the same sentiments about winter d when we try them in larger sample sizes a few months from now, and we’re so excited! Managed to get some of your bud wood to fruit last aug-sept, and they were pretty good for starters, and quite certain they will get better with time :slight_smile:

WD had the most dramatic improvement of my varieties, from 1st to 2nd fruiting year; hopefully yours does the same!

looking forward to it!

I don’t like to count my Jujubes before they hatch…but this year’s crop is looking excellent! Other than my GA-866 and all four Sihongs (they would rather just grow right now), all are showing good fruit set. I don’t know what actually made the difference, since I put down a good quantity of horse manure and Azomite crushed rock on all, but the difference appears to be certain nutritional requirements (I was under the impression that jujubes needed little requirements…but this is in the sandy soil of Florida).

This is my ten year old Li that usually only provides a dozen fruit…It has hundreds!

7 Likes

looks like you have solved the puzzle, at least for the li cultivar!

i hope your sihong finally catches up. Sihong is our favorite. Even here, our sihongs are not as productive as most other cultivars. Sherwood, GA-866 and Gi-1183 are relatively poor producers as well.

sandy soil, especially if mostly quartz, might be too dilute for jujubes.

4 Likes

How much should a new jujube, be watered?

1 Like

While praised for their drought tolerance they grow like weeds if pushed with water and fertilizer. I grew mine bigger in 3 yrs than some do around here in 10.

4 Likes

Thank you, my Honey Jar really doesn’t look all that well and I hesitated to water it much as I knew it could stand dry conditions.

Thanks

2 Likes

Bob,

Last year was my first year growing jujube. I thought they like it dry so I almost never watered and we had a drought!!!. Later in the season, I learned that it did not hurt but help for them to get watered. They seemed to like it esp. when nearing fruit ripening. To me, I prefer eating jujubes with more water content than them being dry.

I plan to water more this year. So far, I don’t have to do it as it’s rained so often.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply… it just looks wilted. The growth is only a few inches on it.

2 Likes

sometimes I think my Jujubee’s would like a straw

3 Likes

Bob,

Any of your jujube trees in full production at the new place? I spent about 20 minutes last night to hand pollinate my 6 jujube trees from a wild rootstock jujube tree that I kept just for the seeds to plant out for rootstocks and pollination purpose. I am not sure where are the bees and small flying insects hiding so I did the work for them just for insurance of fruits production.

Tony

2 Likes

Aren’t jujube wind pollinated? Tiny nonshowy flower and all. Reminds me of pecan to some extent, the female parts.

1 Like

I am not sure but I used a small paint brush and there were lot of pollen dust on it.

Tony

3 Likes

Tony,

As you know I am new to jujube. Last year all my 3 new trees flowers. They were planted 7-8 ft apart. I did not do anything to any of them (I was amazed they flowered less than 3 months after they were planted).

They all set fruit. No help from me at all :smile:

2 Likes