Jujube

Here is a picture of the fruit from the Fort Worth Botanic Garden Jujube tree. I picked some last fall, to try it and see if I wanted to plant jujubes in my yard.

11 Likes

did you end up liking it?

I just want a scion from it!! :+1:

How did it taste?

Some jujubes were better than others. The good ones were more crisp and juicy, slightly Apple-Esque. The not as good ones were more dry and spongy.

After trying them, I did decide to buy two trees this spring and have them already planted them in my yard ā€” a honey jar and shanxi li, both from Doans Nursery.

They were around $50, so not inexpensive, but Iā€™m super excited to have a fruit that ripens later in the season and that is potentially so versatile!

3 Likes

This just posted on Facebook from Dr Yao

http://aces.nmsu.edu/jujube/

Katy

10 Likes

For Availability of Honerjars, Iā€™d call L E Cook, and see which nurseries they had shipped too

1 Like

Thanks for the NMSU link. Thatā€™s pretty cool. Can anyone comment on fruit size variation on the same cultivar in jujube? I was looking at the photo of ā€˜Topekaā€™ on that site and some of those are much larger than Iā€™ve had on my 4 year old. Same with photos of ā€˜Shui Menā€™ posted on here compared to mine. What would cause smaller fruits for me? My ā€˜Shanxi Liā€™, ā€˜Soā€™, ā€˜Polenskiā€™ were all large last year and received equal water, sun etc as ā€˜Topekaā€™, ā€˜Shui Menā€™ā€¦ so Iā€™m wondering.

1 Like

if your subject tree bears plenty, you can try thinning the fruitlets this summer and see if the remaining fruits will improve in size. With jujus, there is also the likelihood that the variety you have may be true to name, and the ones you see online(or vice-versa) may have been mislabeled by the farmhand and broadcast to buyers, who then share and pass along budwood. Totally unwittingly, even by supposedly reputable nurseries.

photos of fruits in a totally different climate also lie sometimes, especially if one is using the relative size of the foliage as basis for fruit-size approximation. Trees grown in full sun, hot weather, and with longer growing seasons generally have smaller foliage. And having mentioned that, it may also be due to the overall photosynthetic activity per unit time which equates to bigger fruits. That field station in new mexico probably gets more sunny days and longer daylight hours overall.

3 Likes

some of the new cultivars from China,

https://jingyan.baidu.com/article/a24b33cd33e91819ff002b65.html

you can use google webpage translator:

https://translate.google.com/

2 Likes

I serendipitously germinated jujubes from seeds of fruit I ate last summer (variety unknown). Should I nurse them to maturity or is it a waste of effort? Iā€™m in Miami, FL 10b.

1 Like

I got fruit last year from a seed I planted not knowing what cultivar was the parent. It is small like Honey Jar and tastes very similar. Iā€™m keeping it. I also have fruit from a Honey Jar seedling and they are tiny, sweetish, and mostly seed but I grafted it over today to other varieties. Itā€™s kinda rolling the dice but sometimes you hit the jackpot. If you do get lucky with a nice fruit you have a tree on its own rootsā€¦

I assume jujube is something that wouldnā€™t grow up near Minneapolis/St. Paul? Have never tasted one.

Hi! Iā€™m thinking to buy one Fang Yuan nĀŗ1, one Jinchang nĀŗ1, and one Hupingā€¦ what do you think? Thankā€™s!

@scottfsmith said Huping was a dud. He got rid of it and so did I. Li, Contorted So, Sugarcane are good and easy to find. Honey Jar is the best at my Z5 location . It is very sweet, crunchy, early, and has more juice than any other varieties. It even tasted good at green stage. I converted most of my large jujube varieties to Honey Jar.

Tony

5 Likes

So, Huping is not good? And Chun? Thankā€™s!

Huping was not good. I heard good thing about JinChang @jujubemulberry can tell you more about it.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Hi @tonyOmahaz5, @Luisport , i actually donā€™t recommend jin-chang if growing it in regions with hot summers. The fruits are relatively large and have good sweet-sour combination, but the fruits are rather dry with an off-putting texture. I have grown them for just a few years so thereā€™s a chance they might improve. It probably will bear better fruits in areas with mild summers, but for now, i canā€™t really vouch for it

4 Likes

NMSU has ā€˜Hupingzaoā€™ listed as a synonym for ā€˜Jinchang #1ā€™ and in the drying category. Have you tried drying them?

1 Like

So, maby fang yuan nĀŗ1 is better?