Jujubes- Our New Adventure

Thanks to the forum members including but are not limited to Scott Smith, Tony, Jujubemulberry, Bob Vance, etc., I am now a proud owner of Shanxi li, honey jar and Sugar Cane.

I chose the sunniest area which is next to the road and in the front of the house :blush: I made mounds and raised beds with a couple cubic yards of soil and ruined manicured lawn of hubby in the process.

I still could not answer his question, " what if you don’t like the fruit?" Pointing out that I planted three, not just one of the fruit I have not tasted.

32 Likes

got to hand it to you–your trees are definitely ‘feeling the love’. If trees have feelings, ours will be so jealous!

3 Likes

Looks great and the shape of the raised beds is great as you have circles on the other side. Very pretty!!!

1 Like

Just came in from my garden. My jujube are in full bloom now and the smell is great so there is always that.

Mine grow crazy fast in my poor sandy soil, can only imagine how fast they will grow in your setup. Mine have already put close to 3’ of growth this year.

C5,
That is a good reason, fragrance.

I planted them two weeks ago. Today, I saw tiny leaves from HJ and SC. Nothing from the tallest Shanxi.

I hope they grow fast and fruit fast like what others have mentioned.

1 Like

hj and sc have some of the most fragrant flowers among jujus.
and of all fruit trees growing in continental usa, i think only citrus are sweeter smelling.
like citrus, the perfume is amplified when humid, so that’s another incentive for watering them by hand instead of irrigating.
and even more amplified when grown in an enclosed courtyard setting, adding a most pleasant dimension to the ambience.
as for the taste, i think you will like hj the most, then shanxi, then sc. And you could always topwork them with other varieties if not satisfied

2 Likes

Wow- you really went all out on these trees. There is no way I could do things that nicely and still plant as many as I do. My lucky ones get a couple logs or landscape laid down for a slightly raised bed, but now I basically take a few shovel-fulls of dirt out, plop the tree in, and spread woodchips around it. .

What spacing did you use? It looks like a decent amount- maybe 12’? You probably won’t have to as harshly prune them as I will likely need to. I used 5’ spacing for my new planting this year. I added quite a few this year:

Ant Admire
Black Sea
Chico
Coco
GA 866
Honey Jar
Li
Massandra
Norris #1
Shanxi Li- 2
Sherwood
So- 3
Tigertooth

Some of these are dupes of what I’ve grafted. You can see that I like So a lot, since I got 3 more of them, even though it is already my most mature jujube. It combines good fruit with compact growth.

I think you’ll like them. When I brought some into work last fall, I don’t think there was anyone who didn’t like the ones I grew. Crisp, super-sweet fruit- what is not to like? The ones grown by Roger Meyers in a hotter dryer climate didn’t have the same snappy crispness to them, but I was a bit surprised to see that several people really liked them as well. And you can always tell your husband that you need a couple extra for pollination :wink:

I’ve noticed that the smell is like grape soda. I’m not sure I’d say it is the best, (I like the Satsuma plum), but it is nice.

4 Likes

Juju,
Wish I could have fenced in area but won’t happen. No one on the street has any real fence except for a new neighbor. It looks out of place with fence.

I definitely will graft more varieties on as these spots are the only full sun I have.

Bob, can you guess whom I would politely ask for jujubes’s scionwood :grin:
Those trees are only 7"ft apart. Also they look more impressive in the pic than in reality (best camera angle is in play here)

We have jujubes in Thailand. Some are tastier and juicer than others. If these jujubes taste similar to the better ones in Thailand, I will be very pleased.

1 Like

Mam,

I think you will like them a lot more than the tropical Jujubes that we had in Asia. The Chinese Jujubes or Red dates are much sweeter.

Tony

2 Likes

Very nice setup, hope your jujubee trees will all grow and produce well.

Those look great Maumung! Very neat and tidy. I’ve tossed around the idea of a ting a jujube but always talk myself out of it. I’d love to taste one prior to buying since they are expensive trees. They don’t look particularly appetizing but I’m willing to try anything. No one around here grows them that I’m aware of.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone. There is always a great anticipation when one plants something new.

Speed, Jujubemulberry said some jujubes taste like apples. The Asian jujubes I had were mildy sweet, crunchy and juicy. As Tony said, these Chinese ones are sweeter. I think you probably will like them.

You can plant one and graft named varieties to it later (if it turn out good). Or plant one, and if you don’t like it, treat it as an ornamental tree with fragrant flowers :smile:

3 Likes

incredibly better and way sweeter than the best apples(of course taste is subjective) we’ve had.
and if a sense of permanence is important, an extraordinary apple could live and be fruitful for up to 200 years, but all those years you or your kids will be paranoid about blight, borers, etc. And other sudden- death or sudden-decline ‘syndromes’.

in china, where jujubes are always at risk for witch’s broom disease, there are many trees there still living today that are >1000 years old and still fruitful.
having removed disease-free jujus from china and transported to a sterile environment as usa virtually assures you of a tree which will approach eternity!
now, if anybody here would like to try but is held back by the price of grafted specimens, simply just buy a few juju seeds from ebay, plant them, and will send you choice budwood(seedlings grow fast) Will be volunteering that service for free for as much as my logistics could handle.

4 Likes

Juju,
That is very nice of you to offer bud wood. I definitely would take up your offer next winter. Thank you very much.

Does jujube needs any more or less watering than other fruit trees? We usualky have rain about once a week. There are time in the sumner early fall that it can go 3-4 weeks without rain.

it rains every week, and ‘at worst’ every 3 to 4 weeks ??
well then, i’d suggest you only water your specimens this year(just because they were planted bare-root), and never again for a thousand years, lol.
considering our growing conditions in bone-dry vegas, i strongly feel many jujus don’t fruit well(they will live and be vigorous, but won’t bear much nor bear quality fruits) with too much ground moisture and humidity. One cannot control ambient humidity, but one could at least simulate the arid conditions in the desert by letting the soil dry out in-between waterings, especially those growing them in regions with cool summers.

A thousand yrs wasn’t enough. Now it’s an eternity. What’s next?

until the reversal of time, as in the ‘big-crunch’, if that is supposed to neutralize the big bang

i presume you were having the tropical mauritiana jujube, and not the chinese variety. If you actually like the tropical variety(and even if you don’t, as with myself), the temperate juju is much better. There’s no contest.

1 Like

Mamuang,

Congrats! You jumped in with both feet and the head! I “think” you’re going to get tons of jujube in a few years and don’t know what to do with them after your annual fill of it.

One question though, what’s the reason for the boxes’ diagonal set up? Visual esthetic or harvest accessibility? Or both?

Tom

Tom,

Aesthetic or that what I’ve tried to do as it’s in the front yard. I lined them up several different ways and asked every neighbors who happened to walk by for comments. Most looked at me amused as they realized the level of my nuttiness. I even asked the neighbor kids who gave more honest responses :smile:

That area was low. When it rained,a small puddle formed. I had to mound the area and raised beds help make it even higher mounds. I considered painting the beds but quickly abandoned the idea. My neighbor could have me committed. Cedar is expensive around here so I went with white pine.

1 Like