Jujubes- Our New Adventure

our so’s are much better-tasting now, as we now have high’s of 80’s to lower 90’s. At least as good as hj’s, to my taste. You’d probably enjoy having one, since you and @Bob have similarly mild summers. Additionally, so’s are some of the most ornamental deciduous trees-- with foliage or without. People stop in their tracks just to contemplate them.

2 Likes

How many of you have tasted Coco and Chico? Can you please describe them?

Bob,
I will look into So. Thanks.

a ripe coco tastes like a sihong in its creamy phase, and when dried as dates, has the texture and flavor vaguely reminiscent of grated brown coconut. Chico is quite tart, and still good eating even when it ripens at the height of our brutal summers. Just thinking about chico makes me salivate, haha.

2 Likes

Thanks.

I have read that you like Sihong a lot.

1 Like

got to tell you though that a sihong in its creamy phase is not as good as when it is fully-tanned(especially when picked later in the year), so coco is a bit behind taste-wise. Of course, i speak in vegas-terms, so coco(which is one of the soviet imports) may still be an excellent choice for you, considering that you guys start complaining your summer is ‘too hot’ at 99F :grin:

“Creamy phase” makes me hesitant. I like crunchy jujube, not soft or creamy :grinning:

what i meant by creamy was coloration. They are actually quite crunchy at the creamy-white phase, prior to turning red or tan.

It’s tough to figure out which is best (an ambiguous measure) in which season and climate. This is all confusing enough that I decided to add one (or more) of each. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Bob,
You’re the man :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mamuang! Jujubes are in all of the French markets, they grow like crazy in the south of France. I will not bother to plant them! So many varieties too!

Now, between mirabelles and jujubes, I may need to extend my stay in France with you for a couple of weeks :grinning:

Great!!!

Here’s a question for the experts. Based on experience with Jujubes or other fruits, What should I expect from my Honey Jar seedlings (from HJ seeds). I know they say that they will not be exactly like the mother tree. If anyone has done it, how close could they be?
Would they preserve at least some of their sweet taste?

there’s this juju advocate from san marcos, tx who’s been doing this with hj’s and other seedlings much earlier than many , but have lost contact with him.

i hope he’s here.
hindsight now tells me should have protected our hj seedlings from sowbugs a few years go-- so could answer this query, haha.

have a new brood of seedlings, but would take several years…

A few years ago, I had a brief conversation with a gentleman from NM. He had Jujube trees for sale. He told me that his trees were not grafted and because of that they should be stronger than grafted trees. I was under the impression that they were propagated from seeds, but have no idea about the quality of fruit or consistency of taste from one tree to the next.

Black Sea is small, but excellent. Massandra is not Lang.

1 Like

What do you mean by creamy phase? Thanks

when they are at their yellowish phase, just prior to turning tan/red.

I find that flavor varies considerably from year to year as well as within the growing season. Some years for example, Sugar Cane is wonderful and some years it is boring. This year it started out boring and finally turned wonderful about a month later. Chico sometimes shrivels before the flavor fully develops. This year it started out doing that but a month later was reaching full flavor before it shriveled. For the first time ever, Black Sea was my best tasting jujube this year. It’s always good but it was superb this year. On the other hand, Autumn Beauty was a little off this year.

2 Likes