Jujubes- Our New Adventure

Its one of the best; large, sweet. Only knock on it was taking so long to bear on the first tree, & I still don’t know what the yield will be. In terms of size & flavor, Autumn Beauty & Winter Delight are my favorites, with Winter Delight bearing heavily each year.

4 Likes

That’s good to know for our area. I really would like some of the less common but I do want good ones. Have you tried any of the eastern varieties…Sherwood, Norris, etc? I have some rootstock so I’d like to graft some of them to those.

1 Like

:grin:

btw, on a happy note-- that it had flowers on same year of planting bodes much better compared to some of our lazy langs.

@Bhawkins ’ experience does not sound encouraging, considering your proximity to dfw, and speaking of erratic production despite being older grafts/specimens, our autumn beauty(aka Qiyue Xian) were more productive last year(as recent grafts), compared to this year, even though one of the grafts grew 4 feet with plenty laterals. [quote=“Bhawkins, post:281, topic:5823”]
In terms of size & flavor, Autumn Beauty & Winter Delight are my favorites, with Winter Delight bearing heavily each year.
[/quote]

Winter d seems to like dfw area, as our 3 yr old grafts still cannot be considered heavy producers.
Hopefully our older grafts and recent ones start getting busier as they age.

3 Likes

Bob,
Good to know that deer eat jujubes. When I spray against deer, I skip jujubes thinking deer would not touch them. Well, now I know.

2 Likes

Bob,
I am happy for you. My 2 nd year Sugar Cane is loaded… with flowers only. Same as the 2nd year Shanxi Li. I still have hope that a few could turn into fruit. Still hold out hope.

2 Likes

Haven’t tried Norris. Sherwood was great last year; but took 6-7 years to bear; only getting 2-3 this year.

I guess Chico is doing well for you?

Choose from honey jay, sugarcane, autumn beauty, Shihong, winter delight, li. Don’t bother with tigertooth, Lang, ga866. Winter delight and Shihong are my favorites so far. I’m not big on Shanxi li from what I’ve seen.

Jmo.

4 Likes

have the same sentiments about our desert-grown shanxi’s. Pertaining to the big, round shanxi’s, btw.

norris also goes by the name norris #1, which undoubtedly indicates quality, perhaps when grown in regions with similar growing conditions as norris dam area

1 Like

Thanks. Chico seems to be doing okay. It’s an older plant that I found in Brenham in a 15 gal pot last fall and it had a few fruit on it that tasted pretty good. It’s got ~25 fruit but really scant foliage (imo). It was kind of a rescue plant that had been growing in shade of a big oak so I’ve been hitting it with fert and it still wants to be lanky with long interstems so I’m not sure if that is a trait of Chico or not. Fruit should mature soon. I definitely want to try SiHong.

1 Like

high nitrogen ferts may cause lanky growth and long interstems. Glad to hear fruits are holding on, btw.

speaking of chico jujus in tx, this delightful couple’s accounts indicate promising results in a relatively humid region there

1 Like

You are right, zack. I have sugar cane and Honey Jar both in their first year, both putting out lots of tiny blooms, but not a trace of fruit on either. Perhaps I should be trying hand pollination with a brush. Strangely, (at least to me, it may be perfectly normal) they have had varying amounts of blooms but at least some blooms ever since spring! While there seems to be some disagreement on fertilizing first year jujubes, I must tell you that I gave mine a pretty big dose (about a cup spread in a circle from the trunk to about 2 feet from the trunk) of triple 15 and it was just like magic…both of my plants had stalled out about a month or more and within 10 days of fertilize they definately took off. Lots of new, bright green growth and blooms.

7 Likes

I have read much of this publication before including the jujube chapter. I want to know how he gets his fruit the size that he reports!! I’m thinking he would be a fun person to know…

2 Likes

I’m glad I don’t have a deer problem…I think my dogs ward them off.

1 Like

his trees are decades old from what have gleaned from the pdf, so quite likely at their peak.

and true-to-form(as many of us complain), his old sherwood tree was relatively a laggard.[quote=“k8tpayaso, post:291, topic:5823”]
I’m thinking he would be a fun person to know…
[/quote]

tambien sentimientos aqui. :wink: Would love to have him as a neighbor.

3 Likes

I believe Sam passed a few years back. He was in the Galveston area, lots of rain, very humid.

3 Likes

Awe… I wondered. :heart:

1 Like

the sepia photo of him and wife is just vintage, so quite guilty of anticipating to hear what didn’t want to hear…

2 Likes

Obituary…nice tribute

thanks for posting @k8tpayaso He sure left lots of good memories, apart from the trees he loved so much which continue to bear fruits many, many years after his passing.

got to admit that eulogies often hit me hard, and tend to ruminate over this ‘thing’ called life. It is pure paradox.

the beginning of life is the beginning of death.

3 Likes

Yes, a thought less understood in our youth…

2 Likes

in many ways, best to leave it at that, just as would much prefer for children to(forever, or extend) looking forward to pere noel clambering down fireplaces delivering goodies ~4 days after winter solstice.

3 Likes