Jujubes- Our New Adventure

The rest look rounder like this.

2 Likes

My seedling jujubes that I plan on using for rootstocks produced some small but tasty fruits. I canā€™t wait to graft some named varieties.

4 Likes

Yeah,. I have been eating them the past few weeks. They tasted a little tart and not much meat but decent to consume.

Tony

2 Likes

I agree there is hardly any meat because of the big seed but mine where sweet and not tart at all. They are somewhat like a apple with rose hip undertones. This was my first time ever tasting jujube so Iā€™m sure the named ones are much better but to me these where very tasty. The plants are still too small to graft so it looks like it will be spring 2018 before I get a chance to graft some named ones.

2 Likes

Greetings! can anyone please advise me on how I can order Jujube scions from Roger Myers? I am so envious of all of you and I want my own of the other varieties you have! i currently have a Li Jujube tree that has a few suckers that I plan on grafting with the scions I can get. please? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Roger Meyers has passed. Iā€™m pretty sure the business has been closed.

1 Like

So sorry to hear that. (RIP Roger Myers!) :sob: Thank you for the response, Fruitnut!

per one of the californians here, the property and business was recently sold. And per my phone contact with Shirley(Rogerā€™s wife), he is apparently the only one in their farm who knows which trees are what. So whoever took over will be clueless if the trees were not labeled, or if labels faded or droppedā€¦ If the new owner resumes business, he may have to sell them by description of fruit, and not by nameā€¦

englands seems to be the only commercial option with a good number of juju scions, which includes other trees(simmons, figs, and many conventional fruits) http://www.nuttrees.net/

they sell ~6" scionwood at 5$ each if remember it right, and say they ship in spring, but are often sold out of jujus if ordering past december or maybe earlierā€¦Had to place my orders in november.

2 Likes

forgot to add, if you re-post your request in this forum later this year or early next year, you might even get budwood for free. What varieties do you have in mind, and how many?

1 Like

http://www.nuttrees.net (Englandā€™s Orchard) is a source of jujube scion.

2 Likes

I was out picking jujubes with my daughter today. She saw a lot of ripe ones that I missed earlier- I picked a pint yesterday and thought that was it, but she found another pint today, plus a few more that she ate while pickingā€¦

Brought in to work (co-workers loved them):

The most surprising thing she noticed was this one. It isnā€™t ripe, but it is the only fruit on a new Shanxi Li which I planted this spring. I previously had several on a 2nd, but they dropped. I had asked her what kind of fruit tree she thought it was, so she was looking for fruit to help in the ID. I hadnā€™t thought that this one ever set any fruit, but she picked it out.

It doesnā€™t look close to ripe yet, but I think it will get there. The berries in the pic are goji.

6 Likes

The only one you have looks similar to mine. I check mine everyday. No change in the condition.

This cool, cloudy, wet wetter we have had for the past several days is not helping , either.

It is nice that your daughter enjoys the fruit of your labor. Mine is so picky. She only likes peaches and E pears.

was exactly like your daughter when i was a kid. Conventional fruits/meals were all iā€™d eat. Couldnā€™t stand the strong scents of sauteed onions/garlic/peppers/asparagus/smelly seafood(i thought burgers, kfc, and fries were heaven, haha), and was totally averse to lychees, durian and jackfruit. Only until was a teenager did i broaden my options and never looked back. Would still eat conventional fruits/meals of course, but now favor and seek out exotica over conventional.

Just ate my first two Jujubesā€¦sharing with my husband who had never tasted them! Good. Very sweet. Maybe a tad dry but Iā€™ve had to water since they were born.

1 Like

K8,
What variety is yours?

Does anyone know which nursery offers Sihong jujube?

hers is li

jfae and rollingrivernursery are the only nurseries i know which sell grafted sihong specimens.
englands offers budwood

Itā€™s a Li. Itā€™s the only one I have. The amount of different varieties is amazing.

K8, yes, so many varieties, so little space. I have Tried to find more sunny spots in my yard to grow more jujubes.

Juju, thanks for the recommendations about those nurseries. I will check them out.

1 Like