Jujubes- Our New Adventure

My first and only ripened Honey Jar jujube. Brix at 25. I loved it. It had a hint of Chinese dates I have had growing up.

Definitely a keeper. A fruit tree that takes only 5 months from planting to consumption. Beat any fruit tree I have.

6 Likes

You need to grow 4 more Jujube seedlings and let them size up and cleft graft them after the second leaf. I will graft about 5 more Honey Jars next Spring to a total of ten HJs. HJ is very sweet, crunchy, juicier, and more reliable producer than most other varieties. The other keepers are Li, Tigertooth (for drying), Lang (for drying), Winter Delights, Sihong, Sugarcane and So.

Tony

Thanks for the vote, Tony.

I donā€™t have anymore fully sunny spots. They were taken by E plums which also need a lot of sun to minimize diseases. They are also in the 3rd year. Donā€™t want to move them. I like plums a lot, too.

May need to squeeze another HJ in a less sunny spot if needed.

1 Like

Donā€™t make it too un-sunny, my 12-year HJ has made about a dozen fruits in the last five years.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised that there arenā€™t more places that sell Honey Jar. So far, it is the best Iā€™ve had and I think that its crunchy/juicy texture puts it in a better position to be more mainstream. I got one from Burnt Ridge this spring, though I donā€™t see it in their current inventory. Iā€™m also adding one from JFaE for next spring and they are now out of stock as well. Aside from just wanting more HJ, I got the JFaE one to get some true-to-variety root suckers, which I can then give out (or plant myself).

Just how much sun and at what time of year is an interesting question. Iā€™m thinking about putting a couple jujubes in at a rental (low maintenance, as fruit trees go) where there is quite a bit of sun (though not full) when the angle is high during the summer, but not so much during the spring/fall. My current hypothesis (or guessā€¦) is that this may work, since fruit set occurs in late June or early July, when the sun is highest. That doesnā€™t mean that something complicated isnā€™t happening (energy stores build over time, etc), but Iā€™m going with the simplest explanation until I get more data. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Honey jar sounds like a must have if you have a sunny spot. Is Sugarcane as good as HJ?

1 Like

Iā€™m interested in seeing some other peopleā€™s take on this. I think that SC is close, but not quite as good as HJ. SC is a level above So, which is already pretty good fresh (unlike some of the drying varieties). But that isnā€™t based on too big of a sample size of SC. I think that HJ has stood out in terms of precocity. I did order 3 SC for next year from ToA, at least 2 of which are for rentals.

Update on Shanxi Li: It looks like they will be ripening up soon. Unlike the So, which have been trickling in for a while (probably over a month season when they are done), the 3 Shanxi on the branch all look to be about the same- maybe 3-4 more days, as they are just showing the tiniest brown. This is on the graft from last year. The one fruit on the new planting is still all green.

4 Likes

Scott,

How many hours of direct sun are those HJ getting? I try to figure out how many hours of sun the new site will get. Would like to have your numbers to compare. We are East coasters so the comparison should be good.

Its in the 6-7 hours per day range. I also had trees planted closely so that makes it somewhat worse, but I did clear out several from around HJ and it did not help it.

I have a new one in a much more sunny spot, we will see if it does better in a few years (assuming the deer let it get to height, its been getting munched back).

Hmmm- 7 hrs of sun and it still does not produce too well. Thatā€™s bad news for me.

What are your and other jujube loversā€™ opinion of GA 866? The description sounds very good.

GA866 is notorious for being difficult to fruit, and I never got a single fruit from it.

Sugar Cane is a good variety taste-wise, but HJ is more juicy and crunchy so overall it is better.

2 Likes

ga-866 exceeds 32 brix, per our cheapo refractometer and several online accountsā€¦ It is very very sweet, yes, but pales in comparison to flavor compared to many others. And the low production is another downside, even in vegas.

as for hj vs sc, i agree that hj is better than sc, but of course it is a matter of individual preference.

there are so many cultivars that people have done taste-tests with have come up with a broad range of opinions. Some have the weirdest cravings(especially the ladies)ā€“seeking out the sour jins and even the spinosa fruits instead of the hjā€™s. Quite amazed that the market for sour worms/gummies is a multimillion dollar business, and canā€™t believe am giving them rootstock suckers for xmas! :anguished:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbuh89ydtV1r7769mo1_500.png

2 Likes

I have been eating HJ for about 3 weeks now and the Sugarcane still looks green. So HJ ripened a lot sooner in Z5.

Tony

5 Likes

Tony,
What is your opinion on SC?

Do anyone know what is the maximum distance apart can jujubes be planted?

i presume you meant minimum distance. We have trees growing 3 feet apart, and for the past 4-5 years, didnā€™t have a negative effect on production.
of course this may be due to the early summers we have and the late autumns, Plus the long daylight hours and the strategic pruning.

1 Like

Juju,
I mean maximum. I donā€™t have a spot near the existing jujubes I planted. A spot I have is further away like 20 ft away. I wonder if cross pollination can still be effective for that distance.

I did not see a bee acitivity when my jujubes were blooming but something helped cross pollinate them. Jsu wonder if that ā€œsomethingā€ would bother to go a distance.

I suspected that was the question, but I donā€™t think that there is a clear answer. I remember a thread several years ago on Gardenweb where jujubeā€™s potentially self-fertile nature was debated. If you are worried about pollination, grafting a branch on should be easy enough- jujubes arenā€™t that far off apples in terms of take rate. The only thing harder about grafting them is that the wood is dense and tougher to cut.

Also, I did see a bunch of flying insects around mine this year- just not bees.

Bob,
Forgot about grafting. That will be an answer. I am checking out hours of sun in some spots as sun is a bigger issue of jujubes.

My Shanxi Li turning color for the past few days.

We will be in the 30ā€™s tonight and a few more nights for the next 10 days.

2 Likes

nice! It has crossed the finish line, pretty much!