Jujubes- Our New Adventure

Glad to hear. Hope the other 3 fruit would reach the finish line, too :grinning:

if i were in your shoes, i would too!

then again, it is obvious that youā€™re off to a good start. Almost certain your trees will perform better and earlier next year and henceforth. Hours of direct sunlight now seem to be the only possible limiting factor, which apparently youā€™ve already ā€˜willedā€™ to your trees.

It seems that Shanxi Li is almost as early as honey jar for east. Will graft both next spring.

These three trees get sun from 10 hours of all summer.

The new site for my next year planting is my problem. It offers about 7, maybe 8 hours of sun only.

Mamuang,

Sugarcane is a very good jujube but it is somewhat late to ripen. My jujubes were planted 8 feet apart with 9 to 10 hours of sunlight.

Tony.

Tony,

How many varieties you grow and how old are your trees?

I wouldnā€™t say that. My Shanxi Li are a day or two behind Mamuangā€™s, while Honey Jar and So (all 3 on the same tree) have been coming in for 3.5 weeks.

This doesnā€™t match Tonyā€™s observation (and mine is a small sample), but last year, when I got some Sugar Cane, it was at the same time as So. But, that was from a tree in a different part of the yard with slightly more (almost complete) sun.

Pictures:

I agree- Iā€™d eat that one before even downloading the picture

12,500 miles, oh sorry I see that was minimumā€¦lol

1 Like

Fruitnut,

I thought of you when I picked my first HJ. Itā€™s very small, like a cherry. I remember the pic you posted comparing jujubeā€™s size to other fruit you had. Quite a contrast.

However, for those who like the taste of jujube (I included), jujube is like a David against Goliath :grin:

Bob,

I am planning to pick that Shanxi Li tomorrow. If I like its taste the way I HJā€™s, Iā€™ll order Shanxi Li instead of HJ. At least, the size of the fruit is a lot bigger that HJ.

i agree. Fruit development during first year/first two years of planting may not be an accurate gauge of determining the early from the mid to late. It is contingent to what type of stems are already there(or arenā€™t), and also influenced by condition of the roots when first planted.

actually the maximum and minimum if you want them farthest apart if mother earthā€™s circumference is truly ~25000 mi, as more than 12500 mi would make the trees closer to each other on the other side :wink:

well, whatever fruit it was being compared to, canā€™t possibly detract from the numerous merits(environmental and logistical) and health benefits of growing and eating jujubes. This is not to imply that fruitnut is limiting his critique to merely isolating and exposing what ā€˜faultsā€™ jujus may have, and that he is unaware of its advantageous traits.

Iā€™m hoping that it is a good one, as Iā€™ve already got two trees and a graft of it. I vaguely recall that Scott described Shanxi Li fondly several years ago. Iā€™m tempering my expectations- if it as good to eat as So and much bigger I will be happy with it. If it is as good as HJ, the size would make it the king of jujubes.

1 Like

Its more mild than HJ but much bigger. My guess is it will meet your expectation of ā€œlike So but biggerā€.

I was wondering how everyone think about Li, as it is considered as most early ripe one.

I got a 6 years old Li, a 5 years old Lang that I multi-grafted several varieties on it like HJ, LI, Dong, Winters Delight, Sugarcane, So, GA-866( 4 yrs old grafts and no fruit), 5 HJs between the age of 2-4 years and producing well), 4 Tigertooths a few years old (1 tree from Jack root cutting and the other 3 were root suckers that came up when I moved the original Tigertooth to a more sunny spot), and 2 Sugarcane on their third leaf. The 3 yrs old Shanxi Li graft is not doing all the great. It just sat there and produced a few fruits. I will have to re-graft the Shanxi Li with another source of scionwood.

BTW, I like the HJ a lot but the fruit is on a smaller side compared to the LI and Shanxi LI. I plan to bag a branch of HJ and pollinated it with the LI pollen and grow out the HJ seeds to see if the seedlings will inherit the large fruit size from the LI and retains the sweetness, crunchy, and juicy of the HJ. That would be an ideal HJ specimen.

Tony

3 Likes

Thanks, Tony. Do you dry any since you have several trees producing?

All I want is one massive HJ tree regularly producing, I will consider myself in jujube heaven then :grin:

Well if you succeed Tony I will be happy to bump up into 7th heaven :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

We just had first frost today, both honey jar and sugar cane had no damage at all.

Mamuang,

We ate them fresh so far. Once all the trees are in full production then I will try to dry them for later use. I can eat a 1/2 lb of fresh HJ without any problem.

Tony

1 Like

My first of four Shanxi Li. It tasted good but not as sweet or juicy as HJ. I tried to measure the brix but it was not juicy enough.

I am torn. The size of Shanxi Li is a huge advantage. HJ is tastier and juicier but 1/3 in size. I guess going with either one would be fine for me.

5 Likes