Juliet Cherry

I mis-remembered, I also got mine in the fall. The sizes sound almost identical to what I got, but your trees grew better than mine.

2 Likes

Revitalizing this old thread since the carmine jewell thread is filling up with discussions of Juliet. I have several questions currently, which are Is it patented? , Are there scions available?, is it compatible with Mahaleb?

1 Like

Clark, I read somewhwere that the whole Romance series is under patent, Romeo, Juliet, Cupid, Crimson Passion (not sure about Carmine Jewel since it was released 5 years earlier). I can’t find where I read it.

Do you think you could contact HoneyberrUSA to find out? They should know.

1 Like

They might not be forthcoming with all the rules since they sell it. They might say it’s patented but there could be exclusions such as if the bush suckers, if it’s grown by seed etc.

Judging from the fact that U of S. is picky about which US nurseries could be their contributors, I would be very surprised if this series is not under patents. It was released in 2004. It may expire in 2024.

1 Like

My understanding is it does not have a US patent, but has protection from a Canadian Act that we honor. I can’t remember the details of the act?

1 Like

They aren’t patented last i checked and we don’t honor the Canadian plant protections because we have a patent system in place for plants. They r trademarked however so u cannot sell plants or fruit using the trademarked nameis my understanding. I wood suggest donating to u of s however if u propagate them. I figure $1 per plant is plenty and need to send them a check soon… wanna keep them funded so new variety keep coming! Also patent infringement prosecution falls entirely on the patent holder, so it’s very doubtful small infractions would be pursued…

2 Likes

BTW I have seen Carmine Jewel grafted and it acts more like a tart cherry, taking a tree form, not bush form. I don’t know what they used as rootstock? Some members here have them.

2 Likes

If that is the case it would be interesting to graft a more traditional tart cherry onto a Carmine Jewel rootstock and see if a bush form resulted.

4 Likes

Would be interesting to know what rootstock, would be fun to try that with CJ and maybe Juliet or some of the others.

1 Like

I think it is @Vincent_8B that has these on rootstock? Maybe he can shed some light as to what rootstock is on Juliet and Carmine Jewel?

1 Like

The first Carmine Jewel I ordered was on Mazzard. It was unexpected when picked up,but kept anyway.
After getting one with own roots,the original tree was planted in a friend’s backyard.He sold the place and I’m unsure if the new owners still have the thing. Brady

1 Like

Hi Drew
My Juliet cherry on her own root. And Carmine Jewel bought from Flower World nursery which was not indicated what kind of root stock it on. Seem like CW does not like wet weather in Seattle. I just moved her back in container and will plant her in my new house next year.

2 Likes

Thanks Vincent! I would think whatever they use for other tart cherries would be what one would use as rootstock for the Romance series.

3 Likes

My.juliet and CJ are both on their own roots. I grafted CP to the Juliet just for the heck of it. It’s growing fine.

3 Likes

mine too. got mine from honey berry USA.

2 Likes

I’ve got a bunch of mahaleb rootstocks. According to Sfgate “”Mahaleb" cherry (Prunus mahaleb) is the most common rootstock choice. It is easy and fast to grow, and slightly dwarfing. Its major downfall is that it can be susceptible to rot and fungal diseases. “ I’m going to graft carmine jewell if it does not violate any patents and see how they do. Hopefully they will grow to a similar size. Once Juliet wood is commonly available I will top work them over to Juliet.

2 Likes

Ill send you juliet wood if you send me back a couple grafted trees next year! :smiley:

2 Likes

The Mahaleb have been in the ground a few years so they have a crazy root system. Digging one up is not possible without a lot of effort.

I checked the Canadian govt. site and it shows that Crimson Passion, Cupid, Juliette and Romeo are patented, Carmine Jewel is not. That said, if they do not hold a US patent it does not apply to you just as US varieties must hold a valid Canadian patent to be protected up here. Hope this helps.

3 Likes