June 15th 2018 is the beginning of Lychee season!

Me too!

1 Like

Like peeling hard boiled eggs with prickly shells!

2 Likes

Lots of people mentioned buying a lychee tree and right now you can find the trees easily https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xlyche.TRS0&_nkw=lychee

@mrsg47
Much like peeling boiled egg!

1 Like

our local supermarket Jewel sale lychees for $3.99/lb, not bad price for fresh lychees. But them lack of aroma, sweetness and flavor. The pit inside is large too. Good quality lychees has very small pit.Not impressed with the quality but better than canned ones

1 Like

An Indian grocery store here, Patel Brothers (I think it’s franchised) offers lychees at $3.99 a lb, too. The color looks right (totally red) but I think it’s a bit pricey (this is from someone who bought a durian at $5-6 a lb).

1 Like

you remind me to check for Indian grocery store. For lychees,$3.99 a pound is not that pricy as long as they are fresh. Besides the lychees is one of my favorite fruits, I also love thai green mango and finger mangoes which I have never seen in this side of ocean

1 Like

They taste very unique, and have a very unique texture yet the closest thing that they remind me of is grapes. Yet still very different. I do remember a slight citrus taste to them too like Clark has said yet nothing like any citrus I actually have had.

The only time that I have ever had Lychee was in August 2015, bought them at a Chinatown Manhattan fruit shop. I loved them. Here are photos of what I bought then.

5 Likes

How odd! You can eat the entire thing once you get the seed out (and the husk off)? I’ll have to try them if I ever see them at the store, they sound tasty. We have a new grocery that does get exotics once in awhile. Thanks for all the info, they are really neat!!!

2 Likes

Yes you can eat everything besides the seed & husk. They are delicious!

2 Likes

There was way more fruit than I thought there would be when I bought them! I had to bring i’d say 40% of them back in my checkin bag.

I just keep getting lucky! These have an incredible flavor! They did pull a fast one on me because these are 12 oz bags for $3 and normally they are $4 for 16 oz so they seem like a good deal but the price is really just the normal price. Anyone else finding incredible lychee right now?

3 Likes

Do you think that they’d be still available in late October?

Best way to describe the experience: It’s like eating sweet eyeballs!! Delicious!!!
It’s been lychee season in Miami for a few weeks now.

1 Like

Alan,
The season is not that long but sometimes canned are available.

Clark! You make me miss China Town in NYC, where I would shop on Sundays! They had everything! Lychee is probably one of the only things I’d go back for.

3 Likes

My Wife bought 5 lbs of Lychee for me on Friday when the weekly new shipment coming in to the local Asian Market. They are wonderful and delicious. I can eat 1/2 lb with no problem.

Tony

1 Like

@mrsg47
Chinatown sounds great!
@tonyOmahaz5
Lychee have been great this year! Glad you’ve got a good supply!

I may have not looked at every fruit seller in China Town NYC yet it sure looked like everyone might have been selling them in August 2015. They had a lot of unusual looking fruits in August. Here is some of what they have in China Town

2 Likes