Just Ate my 1st Persimmon: I'm Hooked!

Miso,

You still can harvest early in that light yellow stage and put them in a ziplock bag with a ripe banana and sealed the bag. It will ripen in about 1 1/2 weeks if you wanted to enjoy them early instead of waiting for a month. This method works when the fruits turn from green to light orange and onward. This is how I can eat the rock hard Hachiya way sooner then let them ripened naturally on the counter.

Tony

1 Like

Tnx Tony,

I will do it later with apples and bag :smile: , but i left them on tree long so they can develop more sugar.
I am not in hurry i am patient and i can wait :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: .

@strudeldog Lol, I’m with Kelby on this one, Phil.

Can you freeze them too? Or dry them? What other ways can I remove astringency?

I freeze 40 lbs of Hachiya last year to have them for treat all year round. I dehydrated 80 pounds of California Fuyus for my College age kids to snack last year also. I will freeze more here next month when the Asian market clear them out at 99 cents per pound.

Tony

I am sure they will like the persimmon, let us know what they think of the che.

Yes, drying removes astringency. I dried Hachiyas last year that were orange but firm (astringent). They turn out excellent dried.

2 Likes

@Clarkinks , These fruit are all heading to Kansas @ampersand @ross I need more cousins only had 4 1st to start and down a couple

3 Likes

Hey phil, can you (or others) talk a little about the taste of che? can you compare it to anything? Is it very sweet? Your photo is the first time I’ve thought seriously about trying them out. I didn’t know they were so prolific (then again you might have 100 che trees those came from for all I know ha) Just now went to Edible landscaping and they say che is viabile in zones 6-9. Do you or others agree with that. I’m zone 6b/7a in TN. Think I would have any luck? thanks!

Kevin, che should definitely be zone safe where you are.

2 Likes

They are very sweet and have a melon like taste to me, some folks say
Raspberry or even cotton candy if you wait until they are really ripe
and start to soften. Some folks don’t care for them and many I think
because they color up well prior to being ripe and eat way to early. before they soften they are very bland and the latex can be irritating. Once they soften like figs the latex is gone and it’s pretty just sweet no acidity. Like I said not my favorite fruit
as I like things with a sweet and acid balance like a good mulberry
and will not replace persimmons or figs for me either but pretty
carefree, and so far neither birds or squirrels bother them.

Lucky Kansans! :0)

Thanks phil. That pretty much did it…its going on my fall order list. Thanks.

Here on this video you can see difference between diospyros lotus (persimmon rootstock) and diospyros kaki (persimmon) plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-dDk1HWo44

With regard to the fruit, we share the same tastes, for me the persimmons are also my favorite fruit. By the way, what is your favorite variety of astrigentente and non-astringent persimmons?

The vast majority of my trees have not fruited yet. The only variety other than Fuyu, Jiro, and Hachiya I have tried is Coffee Cake, and it’s very similar to hachiya to me.

As my trees start to produce, I’m planning to post about the taste and production differences between different varieties. That information has been difficult for me to find, since few people have access to a lot of different varieties, properly ripened, to compare.

1 Like

Around here, persimmon finding isn’t wild foraging, it’s someone’s-yard foraging. Just last night at the grocery store I heard about what sounded like a persimmon tree, that was a drive-by for the one telling about it, that may be in harvest mode (he didn’t know what it was) that I hope to visit this evening; and also go by a house where a long time ago girlfriend lived where there was a tree, the fruit of which we didn’t recognize, but I do now. I’ve had some excellent discoveries of hedgerow apples that I hope to get scions from next Feb, and if these persimmon trees make nice fruit, I’ll try, with permission, to get some scions from them as well. Right now I have a Nikita’s Gift about six feet tall, never fruited, second leaf for me. Maybe I can add to it.

I personally prefer the astringent types, but all Persimmon varieties as far as I’m concerned will do. I’m currently ripening some Fuyu picked from a local orchard near me on my dining table.
You could grow these in pots, but again it’s a matter of space. If you end up with a large tree in your yard it will eventually have an ample supply for the household needs. I currently have five trees in my yard. Of the sampled fruit so far, I prefer the Sajo.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_jYw-14-A4