Just got back from Oklahoma-flowering pears are budding

In Georgia (8a) our flowering pears are in full bloom, as are most of our early flowering trees.

My Gebera daisies (they’re a perennial down here) have already woken up and are pushing flowers.

My Pink Lemondade blueberry has swollen buds that are thisclose to flowering.

Our average last frost date is early March but I’m wondering if we’re not going to have any more cold weather. 7 day forecasts show lowest temp like 46 degrees.

1 Like

Let’s hope the good weather is here to stay.

my average last frost is April 15th! infact we have a 32 degree forecast this weekend.

3 Likes

Absolutely. If we had a sustained period of 30 degree temps in a week or two, I don’t know how much damage it would cause.

I would’ve liked more cold this winter but hopefully the weather stays from now on.

1 Like

i killed mosquito the other day. way to early to see those.

1 Like

It is supposed to be 27 for a low on Friday but the lows go back above freezing on Sunday and stay above through the ten day. Are last frost date here should be closer to mid April.

2 Likes

A major Se ridge looks to be in play to start March…and looks to stay put for awhile… if anything you’ll be full blown summer in short order.

2 Likes

I’m halfway between Houston and Dallas and the only I have blooming myself is my plums which have bloomed over a month ago. Though my big oak trees are leafing out and the pears and peaches should not be long now.

1 Like

Same in metro Atlanta, in addition to some of my early plums. Our extended forecast has highs mostly in the 70s so I think we may have had our last freeze for the year (famous last words :slight_smile:).

2 Likes

1 keiffer pear in Dallas blooming, another one not yet

1 Like

We have been in the upper 70s for awhile. Short sleeved weather is nice but I’m really concerned about this warming trend having a negative impact on the fruit growing areas again this year. Lot of places had crop failure last year. Sounds like all the states are warming up together at about the right temperature differences depending on how far south we are.

Still in ne OK, it’s about 80 here, and supposed to get to 83 tomorrow. I took this pic of a large, old apple (or pear, don’t know the diff) across the street from my mom’s. It looks to be about 40 ft tall, with lots of white blooms. Mom insists it’s an apple-how can you tell between that or a pear?

1 Like

Usually trees that fruit have limbs that bend down caused by the weight of fruit. That tree doesn’t look to me like it has carried much fruit load. Is it possible it is a nonfruiting pear?

1 Like

I’d guess that’s a flowering pear like Bradford.

3 Likes

Thanks. I went over and looked at it close up, and it looks like it has the classic look of apple (or pear) blossoms. But, I don’t know the difference between fruiting or flowering buds. My sister told me she’s never seen fruit under it in the past. It’s an old big tree, has maybe a 5-6ft trunk.

I remember while living in Texas, that some towns forbid any planting of Bradford’s, because of them being bird magnets, or somesuch.

So, there ya go @clarkinks, chalk up one more blooming Okie pear. In February.

2 Likes

This is a flowering pear.

Take a look at this post on fruit bud temperatures Pear bud temps for success and bloom stages this is what fruiting pear blossoms look like Pictures of Pear flower buds - #11 by clarkinks. You can see additional pear buds in this post Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?.
The tree is shaped like a flowering pear. Fruiting pear spurs are easy to spot they look like this

1 Like

If you get close enough to look at it, and it smells awful, then it is probably a flowering pear. :wink: If it smells good or not at all then it is probably an apple.

3 Likes

Driving around town yesterday, and these pears are blooming all over the place. A cold front came thru last night and it’s only in the 40s, with it dropping to 27 tonight.

So, guess I’ll be helping Mom cover some plants today.

1 Like

The flowering pears run a little ahead of normal pears. The temperatures tonight are dipping all over so let’s see what happens

They are blooming here too, not all but some are. There are some at a gas station here in town that are compleatly bloomed out but I suspect it gets even more heat on a sunny day with the protection from the building and the blacktop.