Kazakhstan Apples

According to his list above @BobVance doesn’t have this variety but hopefully I am wrong! Here’s another intriguing seversii apple, this time a cross with a Gala (it might be one of the GMAL 4595 crosses.) Very pretty! https://www.picuki.com/media/2199493072747157770

6 Likes

Now you’re talking! I know somebody will come up with some excellent red and pink fleshed apples one of these days. I’m working on it too, but not that far along.

This one is not red-fleshed, unfortunately. I don’t know any malus seversii that are red fleshed.You might be thinking of Malus Niedzweckyana?

1 Like

Good point, I am not well acquainted with all the KAZ apples that USDA/GRIN has…and you may be right about m. seversii.

I have Malus Niedzwetzkyana and the apples are about 2 inches in diameter. But, there are a whole bunch of wild apples with red flesh in Kazakstan. You’re saying all the red fleshed apples are “Malus Niedzweckyana”?

1 Like

No, I just meant that Malus Niedzweckyana was used to provide the red flesh gene in a lot of the red fleshed breeding programs: Malus niedzwetzkyana - Wikipedia
I can’t find info on red fleshed apples other than Niedzweckyana in Khazakstan but you may be right!

1 Like